The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA st-70 amplifier

Latts
    Latts

VTA st-70 amplifier Empty VTA st-70 amplifier

Post by Latts Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:48 am

I have a set of Tekton DI speakers, and would like to know if I must use the 4 ohm taps on the VTA st-70, or is it safe to try the 8 ohm Taps?  The speakers are 4 ohm…

Thx in advance!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA st-70 amplifier Empty Re: VTA st-70 amplifier

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am

Latts wrote:I have a set of Tekton DI speakers, and would like to know if I must use the 4 ohm taps on the VTA st-70, or is it safe to try the 8 ohm Taps?  The speakers are 4 ohm…

Thx in advance!

You could try BOTH taps and see if one has better sound ? Sometimes an amp will sound exactly the same on either tap but you may find that (for example) one tap has slightly more bass than the other. Another thing > I would shut the amp OFF and wait one minute between changes. Tube amps do not like having no load on the output transformer (the speakers) and it is possible to do damage to the amp by just pulling the speaker wire out of the 4 ohm tap and inserting that wire into the 8 ohm tap.

Bob

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am