The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

New Guy.........First Post

Greg_M
    Greg_M

New Guy.........First Post Empty New Guy.........First Post

Post by Greg_M Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi All
    My introduction to Dynaco/Dynakit came in the 60s while playing bass in the Pacfic NW. During that time I used a lot of cobbled together amps, but one of my favorites was the Mark III with a PAM-1. Along with a number of made in my garage speaker cabinets.
    I grew up in Everett, WA and went to school with the now infamous Greg Mackie and Martin Schneider at Cascade HS.
    My bass playing ended in 72 when my equipment (custom TAPCO stuff by then) was stolen from me in Las Vegas.

A little more recent history.
    I was running a pair of Stereo 70s (bridged) for my record playing system with a NAD 1700 preamp, but those finally got replaced with a MC275.
    I still have one of the ST 70s but it's on the fritz and I'm working on it (slowly)

What I would like to do is get another Mk III and PAM-1 as I am starting to pickup bass playing again and building a replica of a Sunn 200S cabinet, D140s and all.

Would trading a ST70 for a Mk III be an equitable trade if they were both in similar shape?

Thanks for looking
    Greg
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

New Guy.........First Post Empty Re: New Guy.........First Post

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for stopping by ..

With older ST-70's and older Mark III's of equal "used condition", the ST-70 is probably worth more than a single Mark III. It is hard to put a price tag on an amp without knowing the physical condition and playing ability of any used Dynaco tube amp. Most ST-70's usually sell for $300-$400 with real mint units bringing $600+ at times. A single Mark III maybe $200 - $300 with a single real mint unit bringing $450 - $500.

The time that you sell the amp also has a bearing on its value. Summer prices being lower and those sold January to March being a little higher. In other words, there is more demand for these amps in the winter than summer.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:46 pm