The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board?

colin86325

85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board? Empty 85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board?

Post by colin86325 Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:29 pm

I was curious whether using a capacitor (polystyrene) with an 85 degree Celsius rating was advisable, if mounted to the underside of the VTA board? I'm not sure how warm the parts get in this area.

Thanks,
    1973shovel

85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board? Empty Re: 85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board?

Post by 1973shovel Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:02 am

Take a look at this helpful picture Bob Latino posted, showing VTA ST-120 temperatures using KT-120 output tubes.

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t828-tube-amps-get-pretty-warm-especially-in-the-summer-photo

Note the temperature of the two "Orange drop" caps averages 106 ºF, which converts to about 41 ºC. Your 85 ºC rated caps, mounted under the board (where temperatures will be even cooler) will be fine. I'm also assuming these caps will be used in the feedback network, toward the "front" of the amp.

Make sure you use heat-sinks when soldering them in, and be careful with cleaning solvents. Polystyrenes can melt easily, both from heat, and some types of electronic cleaning sprays.
    colin86325

85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board? Empty Re: 85 deg C capacitor--advisable for VTA board?

Post by colin86325 Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:00 pm

Shovel, thank you very much. I had forgotten about that helpful pic showing the temperatures. And thanks for the reminder about polystyrene--I was going to use alligator clips for a "heatsink." Do you recommend anything better?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:21 am