The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

VTA ST-120 Coming Out of Mothballs

arledgsc
    arledgsc

VTA ST-120 Coming Out of Mothballs Empty VTA ST-120 Coming Out of Mothballs

Post by arledgsc Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:20 am

Hi all!  Been a while since posting on this site.  Life changes like retirement, moving, Covid, etc. forced me to pack up the VTA ST120 until time and space allows (since 2017).  Have been using a transistor amp but music lost its magic.  Tired of throwing money at it and long for tube amplification.  So buying a new rack and hopefully Jan. 2023 I can reinstall the ST120.

Understand Bob L. has retired and wish him well.  I see Roy posting his wealth of knowledge.  The VTA line-up of tube amps are still the best bargain (quality+performance).  Glad they are still sold and very affordable.

Debated whether to recap the electrolytics in the dormant ST120 (2012).  But a little smoke and drama never fazed me.  So after visual checkout going to fire it up and see how it performs.  At least this time around I have a PS Audio power plant to regen and regulate line voltage so looking forward to that.  

Looking back over the years I did a lot of mods on the ST120 and they were worth the money/ effort.  Appreciate the help and knowledge of the forum.  The ST120 is an outstanding performer when married to tubes you like.
    https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1474-st-120-kit-finished

Bob Latino, Dave_in_Va, 10-E-C, pedrocols and MechEngVic like this post

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:45 pm