The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Wire Extension - Proper method

penguinpages
    penguinpages

Wire Extension - Proper method Empty Wire Extension - Proper method

Post by penguinpages Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:05 am

I am purchasing the dual rectifier upgrade and as part of that upgrade, I will need to do wire extension.  

Is there someone who can post maybe a "best practice on how to do this, to ensure clean and longer life.

I believe the wire is all stranded, and so less complex.   In normal electrical work I would use wire nuts and similar product but .. no so in this case.

I saw image posted on thread for the dual rectifier upgrade that showed a slit of wire in line  which looked very clean / similar but looked like there was some kind of connector under the heatshrink.

Wire Extension - Proper method Wiresp10

I googled around to find a few examples

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IcX0R106yQo

But wanted to see if community had comment.
    New2Tubez

Wire Extension - Proper method Empty Re: Wire Extension - Proper method

Post by New2Tubez Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:26 am

That one is ok. I don’t think you need to hammer your solder and you should probably use a soldering iron. There are lots of good videos on this. Just make sure to put your heat shrink on before you make the connection.
    Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:53 pm

I use the solder and heat shrink method when extending wires. Find the proper size heat shrink tubing and like New2Tubez says install the heat shrink tubing first then twist the wires together making the joint as round as possible, solder with a good 60/40 solder and then slide the heat shrink tubing over the joint and heat the tubing with a heat gun or butane torch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 pm