The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

SP14 Preamp assembly project

Rafael0510

SP14 Preamp assembly project Empty SP14 Preamp assembly project

Post by Rafael0510 Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:46 pm

Hey guys!

I'm a newbie both in electronics assembly and here on the forum. I will need your help.

Initially I have some doubts about the cabinet. I would be grateful if someone could help.

1 - Could anyone tell me the height of the PCB after all the components have been soldered? Specifically, I would like to know the height of the components highlighted in the attached photo.

SP14 Preamp assembly project Pcb_ma10

The question is necessary because I intend to mount the preamp with the tubes exposed. I will use 1 pair of LINLAI E-6SN7 and 1 pair of SHUGUANG TREASURE Z in them. I would like to make only 5 perforations in the upper part of the case. Leaving only the tubes exposed.

2 - Is aluminum a good material for assembly?

3 - Any special recommendations regarding painting the cabinet? I already know that the AC input and the grounding point must be in direct contact with the metal. Any other points? Any recommendations regarding paint?

4 - Does anyone know the minimum width and depth to accommodate the PCB and transformers at a safe distance? By the way, would mounting in a very large cabinet harm the performance of the equipment because longer wires are needed?

grateful!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

SP14 Preamp assembly project Empty Re: SP14 Preamp assembly project

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 pm

your first question (1) is pretty simple, add the height of the PCB (about 5/8" if you are using 1/2" spacers underneath)
    to the height of the heat sinks (which are probably 2") and you get 2" 5/8" total height.
    If you don't want to make holes for the heat sinks, then mount the PCB to the TOP plate of the chassis, and mount the heat sinks and their regulators underneath the board
    and make sure to keep the polarity of the regulators correct if moved underneath.
    2 - aluminum is alot easier to work with than steel and is what is provided in a full kit
    3 - chassis should be primered before painting (zinc-oxide for aluminum)
    4 - standard SP14 chassis is 16" wide and 12" deep, minimum needed would be about 16" wide and 10" deep.

Refer to this web page for photos of SP14 chassis with tubes out the top.
    If you need a chassis ready to go I have several in stock

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:31 am