The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

NFB resistor

Rec

NFB resistor Empty NFB resistor

Post by Rec Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 am

Anyone play with the NFB resistor value on the VTA driver board? I just wired this switch in to move between 10k,7.5k and 5k. Although it’s higher gain, the 10k seems to work best for my system, (better bass) but I’m still listening. The lower value has a rolled off sound, but I’m not sure if it’s just gain difference. It’s a nice way to tune the amp.

The amp started as a m125 monoblock. The quad cap and rectifier are no more… bunch of other mods including autobias, snubbers on power tubes and a regulated bias supply. Cosmetics too…

RCA 6sn7 voltage amplifier, Raytheon 12bh7 and tung sol 6550. I played with the Chinese “black” kt88s. They sounded fine, but reliability sucked.

Great amps. A lot of tubes.NFB resistor Img_1111

knotscott likes this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

NFB resistor Empty Re: NFB resistor

Post by Bob Latino Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 pm

You can vary the feedback resistor from about 3K to 10K and I have done this on my own VTA amps but have found that 7.5K (the recommended value) works best. If you go above 10K, the amp will have less feedback and the bass will get "boomy" or be less controlled. If you go below about 3K the amp, you will have more feedback and the amp will sound less "tube like". Note > Anytime you alter that resistor for each channel, you will also alter slightly the GAIN of each channel.

Bob

Dale Stevens and knotscott like this post

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm