The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
peterh
Avinunca
sKiZo
GP49
arledgsc
stevenally
Bob Latino
11 posters

Grounded Power Cord

Roy
    Roy

Grounded Power Cord - Page 2 Empty Re: Grounded Power Cord

Post by Roy Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 am

Grounded Power Cord - Page 2 27173711
    hmm yes, that and a TDR board would be going into mine like this one from Marc..
    I'll see when it all gets here what can fit - could always go for an in-line linefilter on the chord I suppose. Most important to me would be to earth the chassis properly - sure i can find a socket here that fits, and getting the hole done neatly yes..
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am

Bob Latino wrote:Implementing an IEC connector to an original type Dynaco chassis is not as easy as it looks. A standard IEC connector is set into the inside of the chassis by 3/4 of an inch or more. If you try to place the IEC connector where the line cord cutout is on an original Dynaco type chassis, the 3 electrical tabs on the IEC connector will bang into the bottom plate of the power transformer since the power transformer is "sunk" into the chassis at that point. One solution is to remove the fuse post and put in its place a combination IEC connector and fuse box combo. This type of arrangement is seen on many Chinese amps. See photo below ..

Bob

Grounded Power Cord - Page 2 R8117235-01
    Bob, the only beef I have with those is that it's a day-long task to fish the fuse out of there, and the fuses are an oddball size.
    MarcVBelgium
    MarcVBelgium

Post by MarcVBelgium Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 am

Roy wrote:https://www.conrad.nl/nl/schaffner-fn-9260-4-06-netfilter-met-iec-connector-met-zekering-250-vac-4-a-1-mh-1-stuks-398692.html would something like this with a built in mains filter serve much of a useful purpose, with the huge main powersupply transformer of an st-120..?

Roy, I think you should forget about this unless you make a "custom" chassis like Skizo. The depth of this connector is 5,5 cm (2.15") and I see no way that this will fit to a ST-120 chassis at any convenient place.

Technical information : http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/375000-399999/398692-da-01-en-IEC_INLET_FILTER_40_C_4A_FN_9260_4_06.pdf
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:46 am

deepee99 wrote:
    Bob, the only beef I have with those is that it's a day-long task to fish the fuse out of there, and the fuses are an oddball size.

I agree .. That is why I do not use this kind of a IEC connector. A separate fuse post is less of a hassle to use ..

Bob
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Yep - its waay too big ^^  I know
    I  really like the look of the chassis as is ( kinda wish the chassis was a little deeper, a little wider and a little taller though tough ^_^ )  but  will see how it all goes together when..
    Perhaps make a little stainless extension of the chassis in the back with my neighbour who is a metal worker..  What grade of stainless is the chassis btw Bob?
    And yes - those integrated fuse holder/sockets are a 'bit' of a pain - have those on other devices here and I made a little tool to fish fuses out or its just   not possible for these fingers..
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

The smaller IEC firs very well. And as it is a power stage ( no small signals, quite immune
    to EMI) there is frankly no need for an integrated powerfileter in the IEC intake.
    And if one uses an external fuse then an even smaller IEC as available.

I would however if i did this today replace the power switch with an IEC that has builtin
    power switch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am