The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Amp for tri-amp system

coolhandjjl

Amp for tri-amp system Empty Amp for tri-amp system

Post by coolhandjjl Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 am

I have a tri-amp system, and am considering a tube power amp for the midrange. Right now, all three amps are stereo ss amps. My midrange consists of a Radian 950-PB 2" compression driver mounted on a custom fabricated tractrix design horn, with the driver itself rated with an efficiency of 111dB.
    I don't need much power, the ST70 looks like the lowest one. With my midrange driver being so sensitive, would the ST70 be a viable contender seeing I would probably only be driving it in the milli-watt range? Would there be noise that may show up?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Amp for tri-amp system Empty Re: Amp for tri-amp system

Post by Bob Latino Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 am

With 111 dB efficient speakers and the fact that you would only be using an ST-70 for a portion of the audio range, the ST-70 would be a good choice and have plenty of power. As for noise levels, nearly all variants of the Dynaco ST-70 have very quiet backgrounds. If you do get noise on any ST-70 type amp, it is either power supply hum (on older original ST-70's) or a noisy driver tube on a modern ST-70 like the VTA ST-70.

Bob
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 am

A vintage ST70 updated with new caps etc. is a great sounding amp as are the new models (more dependable) and would be great in almost any application. Do you currently have one or are you considering a kit build...just curious, why go to tubes for the mids on your system or is this the first step towards an all tube setup? Good luck...
    coolhandjjl

Post by coolhandjjl Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:27 pm

This is my first venture into tubes for hi-fi. I also play bass guitar, and have a tube pre-amp with a solid state power amp for that.

I have read that horns sound best with tubes, and my tri-amp hi-fi system is all horn based. Seeing that my mids are 400Hz ~ 6500kHz, it seems like that is the place to start with tubes for me.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm

I predict that you will quickly opt for equalization, as in getting more tube amps to drive all your drivers.

;-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 am