The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+9
peterh
baddog1946
hawaii.ken
Andy Jersey
ramon68
DynakitParts
mantha3
Roy Mottram
msupr
13 posters

Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO... - Page 2 Empty Re: Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO...

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 pm

I agree with Ramon ... Unless you have small children or curious pets, there is no real reason to put a tube cage on your amp. I like the looks of the Dynaco tube amps without the tube cage especially at night with the room lights down low ..

Bob
    msupr

Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO... - Page 2 Empty Re: Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO...

Post by msupr Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 am

I agree Bob, there is nothing like the glow of the tubes, I needed this because of my grand kids and the fact that at this time the amp is placed very low in my system, there are times I need it on. I had the inside polished also so it gives it a fairly even distribution of light thru out, but bare is better. I am really not looking to make these up, it is a little rough around the edges and I would be concerned that with the price I would have to charge that people would not be happy with the look up close. It is a nice change up for me and my system, when I need a cover. I am happy people enjoyed the pictures.

I would like to thank Bob for his efforts on this forum, I had a blast making my amp, I never dreamed I would have a system that sounds so nice. Great product at a great price!! Thanks for answering my stupid questions in a timely fashion. GO GREEN (Michigan State)
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 am

It's alright for me if you want to look at your amps. I'm more into listening :-)

The day you want to transport it ( to impress friends; to change location; whatever) a cage
    is whats between you and crushed glass.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 am

peterh wrote:The day you want to transport it ( to impress friends; to change location; whatever) a cage
    is whats between you and crushed glass.

I'm not a very bright guy, but I would suggest removing the tubes before transporting the amp. That's what I do. cheers
    ramon68

Post by ramon68 Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 am

Exactly what I do. Pack the tubes separately.
    rmyauck

Post by rmyauck Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 am

Maybe cross draft with 12V computer fans run on 6-8V for quietness would help tube & component life so it's even better than with the cover off.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:oh yes! the worlds best and finest sounding toaster! yum! Very Happy

I like it!!

Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO... - Page 2 Dynaco-toaster

Which begs the question ... can you make toast with a matched set of KT-120's?

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Long as I'm playing with PhotoShop ...

Was leaning in another direction here ... maybe an addon box for the front for volume and balance, maybe a VU ... and a screen for the VTA board. The tubes are right purty, but I could do without looking at that ...

Stainless Steel Dynaco ST-70/ST-120 NEW POLISHED COVER PHOTO... - Page 2 Steampunkt-VTA-ST120

Apologies to Bob for mangling his machine ... the pic was handy ... tongue

One advantage to the addon box on the front (which I figure could use existing holes for a bracket) is it keeps all the additional signal stuff away from internal rf interference. I'd also relocate the test points to the new panel also ... whatever happens there could be easily reverted for the "classic" look.
    msupr

Post by msupr Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:47 pm

love the toaster!
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Now i remeber why i sold my Mk-III in the 80's. They hummed and it seemed impossible
    to get then quiet.
    The rememberence was trigged by the sound of my st-70 cover i just got from canada. It hums !
    Wait, a steall cover cannot hum you say ? Yes it can. The close promixity to the mains
    transformer that leaks enough to set the cover in motion :-(

( I want a stainless cover !! )
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I imagine you can quiet it down quite a bit with some padding between the cover and chassis. Try some of those peel 'n stick plastic bumpers they sell at the local hardware. Just cut a notch in them for the edge of the cover to sit in so it doesn't scoot around. You should end up with a minimal gap that won't affect the look ...

Also, try temporarily adding a bit of weight on top and see if that helps. If it makes a difference, I'm sure you can come up with a permanent solution based on that.

And ya ... I'd forgotten about the toaster! Bonus points for the first one who builds it!! Cool
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:30 pm

sKiZo wrote:I imagine you can quiet it down quite a bit with some padding between the cover and chassis. Try some of those peel 'n stick plastic bumpers they sell at the local hardware. Just cut a notch in them for the edge of the cover to sit in so it doesn't scoot around. You should end up with a minimal gap that won't affect the look ...

Also, try temporarily adding a bit of weight on top and see if that helps. If it makes a difference, I'm sure you can come up with a permanent solution based on that.

And ya ... I'd forgotten about the toaster! Bonus points for the first one who builds it!! Cool
    Nope, it's the top area that vibrates, due to alternating magnetic field from the transformer below.

I guess that bob's transformer has a larger field then old stock dynaco.

Yes, the toaster was nice. I'd buy one if it was available. I'd give my whole supply if 7199 ( 7 new, 3 used and
    two sovtek's ) for a "toaster cover".
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

OK ... that's why I mentioned the weight thing. If you can't stop the vibration, try damping it out?

I was reading about electronically damping an offending transformer, but the common thread there is the potential for changing the sound.

Also ... just a thought ... extra pads at the bottom of the cage could maybe raise the top enough to prevent the vibration in the first place?
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Copper strap around the windings to contain the field (i.e., a Faraday Shield).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 pm