The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
hawaii.ken
Sprags
6 posters

Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp

Sprags

Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp Empty Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp

Post by Sprags Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Quite simply...what are the differences? What makes a tube preamp worth more and worth having more than a passive preamp?
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp Empty Re: Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp

Post by hawaii.ken Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Sprags wrote:Quite simply...what are the differences? What makes a tube preamp worth more and worth having more than a passive preamp?
    Passive Preamp vs. Tube Preamp Compar10

If you don't play vinyl and your power amp has enough sensitivity you probably don't need an active preamp.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm

I've played with passives vs. active and while there may be a touch more clarity in the passive it usually lacks the dynamics and drive of an active line stage.
    sailor

Post by sailor Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I have an OPPO 105 Blueray player. It has a built in volume which actually lowers the output in the digital stage. That's really cool because it causes no distortion I hooked it direct to my best amp and had plenty of volume but as corndog71 stated it lacked dynamics. Don't know why but with my preamp installed the dynamics were restored.
    It does work well however on the Dynaco SCA35 which has a volume but no line stage. When I tried to hook a preamp to it for unknown reasons it sounded worse. My guess is because the input impedance resistor for the amp. is 4.7 meg. but the 250k pot is in parallel with it which brings the actual input impedance to about 237K. This is opposite of today's thinking on passive which says to go as low a resistance as possible like 5K or 10k.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:24 pm

A passive preamp works well if you only have high level signal sources like a CD player, Mp3 player, FM tuner, output from a computer etc. and you don't need balance, bass/treble or loudness controls. If you need these controls or you need a phono or tape head inputs then get an active preamp.

Passive preamps also work well with power amps that don't require much gain. All the VTA amp kits only require about 1 to 1.1 volts for full output. Most high level OUTPUTS like a CD payer are about 2 volts out so with a passive preamp all you are doing is padding down the full output of the CD player with resistors in the passive preamp. Some passive preamps use transformers (TVC passive preamps) instead of resistors to alter the output voltage.

Bob
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 am

Hi there,

Nelson Pass wrote a great article about the subject, which made a lot of sense to me.

Best

Michael

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 pm