The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Jantzen Caps

MontanaWay

Jantzen Caps

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 am

Has anybody here used Jantzen caps in their amps?, say coupling caps and other 'critical' areas?
    Are they good, no difference, waste of money?, thanks for any input.

corndog71

Re: Jantzen Caps

Post by corndog71 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:02 pm

I've tried their lower end models and didn't care for them. They sounded a bit dark and had less detail than other caps I've tried. I hear their higher end ones aren't bad but I haven't tried them myself.

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14 pm

MontanaWay wrote:Has anybody here used Jantzen caps in their amps?, say coupling caps and other 'critical' areas?
    Are they good, no difference, waste of money?, thanks for any input.

http://www.jantzen-audio.com/products/cross-over-components/capacitors/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/1108/capacitor2.htm

There are other reviews around the Internet in addition to this one.  I generally interpret the various reviews as indicating the Jantzens are very detailed.

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:21 pm

I tend to agree with Peter ... I have used the Jantzen Crosscaps in rebuilding older speaker crossovers. They are supposed to be + or - 5% but when I measured them they were within 2% of the actual value. These caps are made in Finland (although Jantzen is a Danish company) to very high standards and are much better than generic Chinese caps. EVERY older speaker that I rebuilt with the Jantzen Crosscaps (made for crossover networks) sounded better than the original caps that came with the speakers. Maybe that is not a fair comparison because some of the speakers were from the '60's and '70's and the caps were old and caps do many times deteriorate over 40+ years .. As to their upper level "Z-caps", I have never heard one so I cannot comment on their sound ..

Bob

MontanaWay

Post by MontanaWay on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Bob Latino wrote:I tend to agree with Peter ... I have used the Jantzen Crosscaps in rebuilding older speaker crossovers. They are supposed to be + or - 5% but when I measured them they were within 2% of the actual value. These caps are made in Finland (although Jantzen is a Danish company) to very high standards and are much better than generic Chinese caps. EVERY older speaker that I rebuilt with the Jantzen Crosscaps (made for crossover networks) sounded better than the original caps that came with the speakers. Maybe that is not a fair comparison because some of the speakers were from the '60's and '70's and the caps were old and caps do many times deteriorate over 40+ years .. As to their upper level "Z-caps", I have never heard one so I cannot comment on their sound ..

Bob
    what about Jantzen caps as coupler caps etc

Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:06 pm

I don't know ? Maybe someone else who has used these as main coupling caps could comment on their sound ?

Bob

Brap

Jantzen caps

Post by Brap on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 pm

For coupling caps, I really prefer Mundorf SGO. I do not think there are many better other than Dueland

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:48 pm

Current date/time is Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 pm