The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question

mainstream-deluxe
    mainstream-deluxe

Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question Empty Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question

Post by mainstream-deluxe Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 am

Hello everbody,

my name is Thomas. I'm a new member in this forum.
    I owned a Stereo 70 Series II a few days ago.
    The amplifier is in working condition, but i want to replace the capacitors C1-C4 and C5, C6 & C9.
    As you can see in the schematics C1 & C2 are 68µf @ 450V capacitors, and C3 &C4 are 100µf @ 400V caps.
    On the board of my amplifier C1-C4 are 150µf @ 450V Sprague caps.
    I'm a bit confused.  confused Which capacitors are the right ones? Are there different versions of the ST 70 Series II?
    My be someone can help.  Very Happy

My amp:
    Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question 21428363fw

Regards
    Thomas
    stewdan

Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question Empty Re: Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question

Post by stewdan Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:51 am

Hi Thomas --- I looked at the ST70 Series II Schematic that Bob has placed in the schematics file.

The stock Series II has C1-C2 as 68MF @ 450V and C3-C4 as 100MF @ 400V.
    Whoever owned the amplifier before you got it, apparently changed out C1-C4 to 150MF @ 450V caps or maybe a later Series II amp was produced with the 150MF caps.

On the original ST70 (circa 1965) the main cap was a 4-section 30MF-20MF-20MF-20MF can cap rated at 525V. This older functionally was like your C1-C4 caps, but all in one container(Quad Cap).

Over the years that can cap has been replaced by different 4-section can caps or by 4-individual or 2-individual caps. (40-40-20-20,80-40-30-20, etc). I have seen amps with larger capacitance in the C1 & C2 stages, like the 150MF caps that you have.

The intent of the large capacitance caps is to allow the amp to store more energy as it plays, thus giving you a smoother, larger sound.

At some point, how large a capacitance is overkill?  The philosophy is that C1 & C2 should be large and C3 & C4 smaller. But what happens when you don't have the smaller caps available, well, I guess that you use 4 caps of the same size.

There has been some discussion on the Forum about the Can or Quad Cap replacement, so if you do a search, some info will turn up,

Hope that helps and does not confuse.
    Stew
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question Empty Re: Stereo 70 Series II capacitor question

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:30 pm

if it works, dont' fix it !!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 pm

as tubes4hifi said, if it works and sounds fine to you, why change them.
    What is the reason you wish to change them in the first place, do you wish to go back to stock?
    Those values that are in now should be just fine.

by the way Willkommen, ich hoffe das Du unser Forum sehr Interessant findest!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 pm