The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Share

    Skyfrog

    Posts : 6
    Join date : 2013-03-03
    Location : Raleigh, NC

    Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Skyfrog on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:37 am

    hi Bob
    What is the reason you recommend the Weber solid state rectifier instead of the 5AR4/GZ34 tube rectifier? I am using the 5AR4 right now and I am thinking of trying the weber.
    What is the difference in the performance, reliability, stability or sound of the M-125 with the weber rectifiers?
    Thanks bunches

    Bob Latino
    Admin

    Posts : 2411
    Join date : 2008-11-26
    Location : Massachusetts

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Bob Latino on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:04 pm

    Skyfrog wrote:hi Bob
    What is the reason you recommend the Weber solid state rectifier instead of the 5AR4/GZ34 tube rectifier? I am using the 5AR4 right now and I am thinking of trying the weber.
    What is the difference in the performance, reliability, stability or sound of the M-125 with the weber rectifiers?
    Thanks bunches

    A good quality 5AR4 will work fine in the M-125's BUT ..

    1. If your speakers are inefficient (maybe 87 dB or lower)
    2. Your speakers present a complex load to the amp (electrostatic, planar magnetic speakers)
    3. Your room is pretty large
    4. You play rock music at high volume levels

    then you are probably better off with the Weber WZ68 solid state rectifier. The Weber WZ68 can provide more current than any tube rectifier but > If your amp never has to be pushed very hard, then a tube rectifier will work fine in these amps. An analogy > There are autos out there that can do 140 MPH but if you don't go over 65 MPH, do you really need all that power ?

    I find that the Weber's are reasonably priced ($22 + shipping) and last a long time in these amps ..

    Bob

    Skyfrog

    Posts : 6
    Join date : 2013-03-03
    Location : Raleigh, NC

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Skyfrog on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 pm

    Thanks for the info.
    A couple more technical question: preference between the AU7 and BH7 tubes. Why is one preferable to the other?
    I looked at the Weber site to order some WZ68 coppercaps. Weber says the WZ68 are not for HIFI! I assume we can ignore this statement! Is there any other places to order those? They are hard to find except on the Weber site.
    Thanks again
    Laurent

    Maintarget

    Posts : 209
    Join date : 2013-02-10

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Maintarget on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:08 pm

    12AU7 seem to be brighter 12BH7 seem to be darker/more bass I'm running a copper cap in my ST-120 no issues what so ever

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Webers

    Post by deepee99 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:58 am

    Skyfrog,
    I used Webers for quite a while and they run quite well, provided the speaker impedance doesn't drop too low. Troy (TMadden) has worked up a nice little mod for them that improves heat dissipation; too much heat in that small copper cap is its Achilles Heel. I'm running a pair of tube rectifiers in each of my Big Boppers now but have no problem recommending the Webers, but by all means get ahold of Troy about his mods.

    Kentley

    Posts : 335
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Kentley on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 am

    AU7 vs. BH7 -- First, it is the front driver tube in the monoblock which is crucial for sound (center in thr ST-120).
    The differences in sound are often expressed as "darker". I think one might add "fuller" and "rounder" to that list of descriptors. Or "ballsier". I could be mistaken, but to my ears the BH7 supplies more "drive". Whether this is preferable for you will depend on your speakers, room, and ears. The nice part is that many inexpensive 12BH7s are available - you should find quite a selection for around $20 a pop. My personal faves thus far are GE 12BH7A from the early sixties. Incredible sonics. Good luck!!!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by deepee99 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:55 am

    Kentley wrote:AU7 vs. BH7 -- First, it is the front driver tube in the monoblock which is crucial for sound (center in thr ST-120).
    The differences in sound are often expressed as "darker". I think one might add "fuller" and "rounder" to that list of descriptors. Or "ballsier". I could be mistaken, but to my ears the BH7 supplies more "drive". Whether this is preferable for you will depend on your speakers, room, and ears. The nice part is that many inexpensive 12BH7s are available - you should find quite a selection for around $20 a pop. My personal faves thus far are GE 12BH7A from the early sixties. Incredible sonics. Good luck!!!

    Yep, I dunno how you could top the early GE 12BH7As in a noval socket. They are very, very sweet and last forever.

    10-E-C

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2014-02-12
    Age : 63
    Location : upper east tn

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by 10-E-C on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:15 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    Kentley wrote:AU7 vs. BH7 -- First, it is the front driver tube in the monoblock which is crucial for sound (center in thr ST-120).
    The differences in sound are often expressed as "darker". I think one might add "fuller" and "rounder" to that list of descriptors. Or "ballsier". I could be mistaken, but to my ears the BH7 supplies more "drive". Whether this is preferable for you will depend on your speakers, room, and ears. The nice part is that many inexpensive 12BH7s are available - you should find quite a selection for around $20 a pop. My personal faves thus far are GE 12BH7A from the early sixties. Incredible sonics. Good luck!!!

    Yep, I dunno how you could top the early GE 12BH7As in a noval socket. They are very, very sweet and last forever.

    I'm running early 60's Tong-Sol 12bh7a in my M125s.

    MarcVBelgium

    Posts : 83
    Join date : 2013-12-06
    Age : 63
    Location : Antwerp, BELGIUM

    weber-coppercap-versus-tube-rectifier

    Post by MarcVBelgium on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:53 pm


    When I first changed the GZ-34 to Weber CC in my ST-120 without TDR (time delay) I blew 2 6550 tubes.....
    Therefore I recommend that if you decide to use Weber CC, please install the TDR (I did.....)

    Tube Nube

    Posts : 641
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 53
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Tube Nube on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:01 pm

    About the rectifier question -- with some hesitation -- some people say there is an audible difference, whilst others scoff at the idea. I don't have the technical expertise, or audio experience to judge, but perhaps I'll offer a couple of observations of what I've read and heard. Many of the arguments against there being a discernible sonic difference are based on technical grounds, and not on the basis of experience. Of course, listening "tests" are fraught with expectation effects.

    One argument is that the rectifier is not in the signal path, so it can't possibly affect sound. A counter argument is that the power supply is in series with the amplifier output, so it is very much a part of the sonic chain -- the point begin that the job of the amplifier is merely one of modulating the power from the power supply.


    corndog71

    Posts : 451
    Join date : 2013-03-19
    Location : It can get windy here

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by corndog71 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:08 pm

    As someone who has spent more money on rectifier tubes than output tubes, I say go solid state (for rectifiers. I'm not completely mad) and never look back.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Weber coppercap versus tube rectifier

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:09 am


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:09 am