The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
Roy Mottram
pmarcin
vtshopdog
GP49
Bob Latino
9 posters

Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio Empty Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:49 am

Yes - you want to isolate your gear from vibrations while the music is playing so you get a set of four "Isoblocks" from Mapleshade Audio. You get four 2 inch X 2 inch X 7/8 inch thick blocks for $24 ($6 each per block) and you can read about how "great" they are at the link below ... They say that "Isoblocks are a six layer rubber/cork laminate whose footprint and number of laminations has been tuned by ear to exactly those vertical, horizontal, and torsional resonant frequencies that provide the best sonic isolation for platforms."

Mapleshade Isoblocks

It turns out that these "Isoblocks" are commercially made and not designed or tuned by Mapleshade and are available for 29 cents each. See link below ....

The REAL isoblocks

Bob

LGilbert likes this post

GP49

Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio Empty Re: Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio

Post by GP49 Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Similar but larger iso-pads were used in building the damped floor of a high-end audio-video store near where I live.  The owner even thought of selling small ones as isolating component feet but was too honest...he didn't want to market a ripoff.  So he cut the leftovers into small blocks and GAVE THEM AWAY to customers!  Imagine! He could have been rich!  He could have made as much money as Mapleshade!  He could have moved to Baltimore, like Mapleshade!

On the other hand...Baltimore?  No, thanks, he would have said!  lol!

Mapleshade tweaks aren't all ill-advised, though.  Sometimes they have useful ideas.  Often, small monitor-type loudspeakers and those of similar size do sound better on the floor and tilted up, as by their Bedrock stands.  However, I found what worked just as well: pieces of wood flakeboard cut from an old $15 Walmart chest of drawers that was falling apart (next time: Ikea instead of Walmart).  I made them so they angled the speaker upward toward the height of the listener's ears and in addition, built-in a front extension board to the floor, which works similar to the add-on "beard" for the Wilson WATT speakers by effectively extending the front baffle and coupling the small woofer to floor loading.  They sure didn't cost from $350 to $675 like the various Mapleshade Bedrocks, but then I also did not offer myself a money-back satisfaction guarantee.  And they aren't as purty.  What a Face
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio Empty Re: Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio

Post by vtshopdog Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

In their defense, it appears one actually gets 8 pieces of isoblock for $24.  As best I can tell they stack two units to get the stated 6 layer device, so I think it's fair to assume their extensive listening tests to fine tune the device involved stacking one, two or possibly three blocks, cracking a cold beverage and playing some music.  

This is know as "value added" - they have done all the hard work of stacking three different configurations of pads so you can stay at work late and earn an extra $20-something to pay them for the extensive testing of the device.

(Noooo!  I'm not cynical in the least!!)  (I'm also a bit of a wood worker nerd and I have the opinion that some of their wood products have a similar "value added")

Cheers, Tim
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:50 am

I am glad you exposed this ripoff, Bob. I feel their interconnects and reworked Scott integrated amps are even worse. BTW: I purchased a few of the non-ripoff composites. (Also, the purple prose associated with this product is quite nauseating.)
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Great shades of gravy! I went on the Mapleshade site and saw that he greatly expanded the number of ripoffs.Deoxyit is one of the few reasonable offerings. All of the Integrateds have passive preamps.

Then compare MS offering to Rpys(tm). It's embarassing. Each of Roy's is a bargain. Complete opposites.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:25 pm

paul . . . Then compare MS offering to Rpys(tm).
    say what ????????
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Sorry there's a misunderstanding, I meant it as a stark contrast, polar opposites in the world of stereo.
    I meant it as an extreme positive. It also contrasts the differences how each of you have grown your companies. He stated with basically, decent offering and was on '60 Minutes.' Spoiled by success, he grew greedier and greedir, shadier and shadier. Contrast that with your offering, which have gotten better and better, reaching its current pinnacle pf preamp design, challenging the Masters of Audiophile Universe at a fraction of their price.

Again, I apologize that what I said was misundesood. I meant it as acontast in tems of products and growth paths. Mapleshade has certainly taken the primrose path. Sorry, i didn't mean to offend/
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:37 pm

"extensive listening tests to fine tune the device involved ...blah blah blah... cracking a cold beverage and playing some music. "

FWIW, I find this to be an exemplary test protocol. Highly recommended!

Smile

deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Whatever happened to Sorbothane, except it's tough on hardwood surfaces. Or cork, which is what Holger uses for feet on the Big Boppers. Works great.
    Turntables are another story, especially if they're placed anywhere near a speaker. Since makers of $250,000 tables don't bother to put in even an AR/Thorens type suspension, low-frequency feedback can be a real challenge. My VPI Traveler rumbled something scary. Solution was to mount it on a shelf attached to the load-bearing wall behind the stereo, sitting on MDF. The wall and the floor vibrate at different frequencies. KAB Electro Acoustics has an electronic solution, too that doesn't compromise any bass.

vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 am

David - most delectable irony mentioning quarter million dollar turntables in a thread with a topic of 20 cent pads selling for $24.  pirat  

I honestly had no idea such a thing existed, but am not surprised in the least that it does.  Same phenomena only (a lot!!) more zeros.

Cheers
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:59 am

After spending $250K on the turntable you have to save money somewhere...
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:05 am

Glad you pointed out the quandary. what's a man to do?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Well, just in case you're in the market, here are some hi-fi turntables:
    http://www.musicstack.com/guide-to-collecting-vinyl-records/ten-most-expensive-turntables.html
    I believe tone-arms on most are an optional extra. Then there's the $30,000 needle thingie.
    tubenutr
    tubenutr

Another ripoff thread > Isoblocks from Mapleshade Audio Empty Isoblocks

Post by tubenutr Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Did you know that our friend, Kevin at Dynakits sells the same thing affraid
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Eskimo wrote:Did you know that our friend, Kevin at Dynakits sells the same thing affraid
    $300k turntables, or two-bit shock-absorbers? Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 am