The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Preferred method to re-tension socket pins?

jasn54

Preferred method to re-tension socket pins? Empty Preferred method to re-tension socket pins?

Post by jasn54 Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 am

How do you tweak those little split, tubular sockets when re-installing tubes? My attempts using a small flat-head screwdriver seems very imprecise, potentially damaging and a PITA to boot.

Any other advice when swapping?

Thanks...
    Kentley
    Kentley

Preferred method to re-tension socket pins? Empty Re: Preferred method to re-tension socket pins?

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:39 pm

I have found that the jeweler's screwdriver method is lousy as well, for all the reasons you mention. Here's a solution I saw while perusing another tube forum which works demonstrably better - and these are great conversation pieces as well: http://www.amazon.com/DISSECTING-DISSECTION-STRAIGHT-HTI-BRAND/dp/B00M04W6NI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
    jasn54

Preferred method to re-tension socket pins? Empty Re: Preferred method to re-tension socket pins?

Post by jasn54 Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 pm

I like that Kentley. Thx!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm

I still like the jeweler's screwdriver. Just gotta get the right size, right? One I use slips in behind the finger nicely, starting at the split and them sliding it over towards the middle of the finger, and a quarter twist on each tightens them right up. Be a bit careful, and there's little or no chance of damage.

Obviously a different screwdriver for each socket type is a good thing. The hardest part of the whole job is usually finding the screwdriver needed.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:16 am

I just buy belton sockets, plug in the tubes and then leave them there until they die.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Anybody tried just directly soldering the tube pins into the circuit and bypassing the socket entirely? As a recovering tube-roller, and given the lifespan of your average high-quality tube these days, I'm contemplating such . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:38 am