The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
arley
bluemeanies
corndog71
Tube Nube
LeGrace
9 posters

Biamp, yea or nay?

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Biamp, yea or nay? - Page 2 Empty Re: Biamp, yea or nay?

Post by Tube Nube Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Just to get a better picture, are you feeding both the main speakers and sub from the M125's?

LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Just to get a better picture, are you feeding both the main speakers and sub from the M125's?

Previously I had a splitter on the Marantz pre outs. One side went to the M125's, the other to the sub. In this case the M125's see the full frequency spectrum. Now the splitters are eliminated, and the Marantz's pre outs connect directly into the the sub. The sub output jacks (it has L/R in and out jacks) then feed to the M125's. Meaning the M125's no longer see the lower frequencies below what I have set on the sub. Hopefully that answers your question. Surprised a what a difference it makes.

Biamping in another form, in that the low freq are all SS now, the rest tube powered...
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi LeGrace,

Got it. I actually started to write what I said, then " or is it like . . . ." Describing what you've just said, but was worried I would confuse the picture if your sub didnt work this way.

My subs work the same way, and it was really easy to set it up and play with the hi pass cutting frequency. I did find it muted the fidelity, which might have been the result of the high pass being poor quality, or the flimsy cables I used being an issue.

If you ever get the itch to try it, once you've decided on a high pass frequency you like, you can construct a 1st order (6 db per octave roll off) high pass filter consisting of a single (bipolar) cap per channel. There are formulas on the net, but the value of the cap is a function of the cutting frequency and the input impedance of your M125's. That would let you skip the subs internal high pass.

But there may be no need for it. Sounds like you've landed on a solution that works great for you.

Now you've inspired me to go and rescusitate my sub-woopers that have been sitting idle since I rearranged my listening room a few months ago.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:27 am

My speakers are on the low eff side (88db). Combine this with my preference for triode mode, I was asking a lot of the M125's. Now freed of the power sapping low end (burden shifted to the 500w sub), layer in in two brand new pairs of matched Genalex KT88 quads, man things are sounding sweet!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:43 pm