The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Peter W.
pedrocols
bluemeanies
7 posters

Acoustics

bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Acoustics  Empty Acoustics

Post by bluemeanies Sun May 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I would like to know how many people here are using acoustics for their 2channel system.
    Whether it be homemade or purchased.
    What kind of acoustics...absorbers or diffusers or both...walls and ceiling.
    Location of your acoustics.

Or do you think acoustics room treatment is voodoo.

Thanks,
    blue
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Acoustics  Empty Re: Acoustics

Post by pedrocols Sun May 14, 2017 2:13 pm

I do not have a dedicated listening room so I try to make the best of what I have. There are always going to be compromises to be made.  In my situation it did make a difference controlling the echo (it passed the clapping test) and it seems to play louder at low volumes.  I have magnepan speakers which are different from traditional box speakers.  I have DIY bass traps behind me and to the side wall and I am yet to try diffusers behind the speakers.
    Acoustics  IMG_4052_zpsk5mjq0ef
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 pm

I use speaker placement exclusively in my three major listening venues. I find using acoustical materials to be limiting, meaning that by using them, *those* speakers must be in *these* locations. My speakers are large Maggies, AR3A & AR M5s.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 pm

ATS Acoustics. Relatively cheap, attractive, well made, and very effective.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm sure,that some of the things that we read on the net fall into the voodoo category. Like how sacrificing a chicken in your listening room, and dripping its blood around the room enhances stereo image. . .  Just kidding.

There are many contradictions to be read, and it's not just my limited knowledge that accounts for it.

My plan is to DIY up some panels using accoustic foam that Bob linked us to in a previous post. My plan is to place them on the side walls at tne point of early reflections in order to (hopefully) enhance the stereo image.

I'll report,back here if I ever get this done.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Thu May 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I found these 'Harmonizers' a few years ago:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/stein_harmonizers.htm

Can one of you buy these and set them up in your listening room and let me know if these really work?

deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 am

I have been forbidden by She Who Will Be Obeyed from doctoring up the walls or ceilings in any way, and given its hardwood floors, glass picture frames and windows we have a very "bright" house. (When you live in a mountain canyon, natural light is a precious commodity.)
    At one point I recall asking the Forum about what I thought was an over-bright tweeter with the foregoing limitations and Skizo suggested I "put a sock in it." Still working through his double-entendre. (Actually, as the tweeter aged it mellowed and it and I are both speaking in natural tones now.)
    Speaker placement, cant, toe-in/-out &etc. are highly underrated as a not-so-nuanced palliative, and is a game of inches. Labour-intensive, perhaps, but no need for trips to the hardware store or (God forbid!) visits from an interior decorator.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:33 pm