The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
Peter W.
Tubes4ever
WntrMute2
Dogstar
arledgsc
Bob Latino
PeppaPig
deepee99
12 posters

Tube amp phase explanation

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Tube amp phase explanation - Page 2 Empty Re: Tube amp phase explanation

Post by Peter W. Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Mpffffff.... Hmmmmm.... speakers....

This household keeps Magnepan, AR & Dynaco speakers.
    Daughter & Son-in-Law keep Revox & AR.
    Brother keeps Accustat (electrostatics).
    Son & Daughter-in-law keep no speakers other than in the television - young kids.

At present, I have the only tube driven systems in the inventory - Dynaco ST70 - modified stock & Scott LK150 - also modified stock.

Neither tube amp will drive the maggies well in a 17 x 28 x 10 (all feet) room. I use a brute-force Citation 16 solid-state amp for that purpose.

My interest would be in the amp/speaker/room size dynamic and how that is worked out. And whether a listening area is designed around a 'sweet spot' or not. NO (audio) sweet spots permitted in this house... that is what headphones are for.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm

VTA's M-125s will drive Maggies, at least my old MGIIs. Still need a sub-woof, though, but that's a speaker weakness. Vandersteen makes a nice subwoofer x-over that takes the heavy lifting off the tubes and passes the low end to a powered sub-woofer.
    As to "sweet spot," that's for the birds -- unless you're single, never entertain company, and have your listening chair and speaks bolted to the floor. More raptor oil.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I've always set up my gear for the proverbial sweet spot.  Might as well just settle for bose if you like that diffuse sound. tongue  
    Or don't worry about phase, just plug in the speaker connectors randomly.
    PeppaPig
    PeppaPig

Post by PeppaPig Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 pm

I think it is worth noting that our psychology plays I big part in what we hear. My more so than many of us realize if that were not the case then company's like audioquest would be out of business
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:48 pm

deepee99 wrote:VTA's M-125s will drive Maggies, at least my old MGIIs. Still need a sub-woof, though, but that's a speaker weakness. Vandersteen makes a nice subwoofer x-over that takes the heavy lifting off the tubes and passes the low end to a powered sub-woofer.
    As to "sweet spot," that's for the birds -- unless you're single, never entertain company, and have your listening chair and speaks bolted to the floor. More raptor oil.

How big was your listening room?

The MGIIIa speaker extends quite far down. I have not felt the need for a SW, but for when I listen to the 3as.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 pm

It is not uncommon for the individual drivers within a single multi-driver speaker to be wired out of phase with respect to one another. This is often done in an attempt to compensate for phase distortion introduced by high order crossover networks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am