The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
corndog71
Peter W.
jfine
7 posters

Bypassing Binding Posts

jfine
    jfine

Bypassing Binding Posts Empty Bypassing Binding Posts

Post by jfine Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Anyone hard-wire their amps? (speakers)

Was thinking about losing the binding post altogether (M125) and possibly using wire screws, still would be able to disconnect if I had to, why? Because I can. pirat

No, actually was impressed by losing the binding post on the speaker side by direct connection to the crossover. They were good posts too...
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Bypassing Binding Posts Empty Re: Bypassing Binding Posts

Post by Peter W. Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

jfine wrote:Anyone hard-wire their amps? (speakers)

Was thinking about losing the binding post altogether (M125) and possibly using wire screws, still would be able to disconnect if I had to, why? Because I can. pirat

No, actually was impressed by losing the binding post on the speaker side by direct connection to the crossover. They were good posts too...

a) Greatly reduces portability. May not be an issue for most, but audio in this household is constantly subject to change in any but the two core systems. Those will see changes only sporadically.
    b) It is good to know that I can pull any device apart from any other device by the simple expedient of a sharp yank. And, as it happens, so can the 100-pound golden retriever. Without leaving components on the floor.

Funny thing how local circumstances drive life-choices. No uncovered tubes. Break-away connections, Turntables above cat-leap height (5 feet).

corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

jfine wrote:Anyone hard-wire their amps? (speakers)

I've heard of guys doing this. If you don't see yourself changing things anytime soon then why not? All of those dissimilar metals and connections probably muck up the sound ever so slightly.

I still prefer binding posts on my amps. Digikey sells nice copper binding posts by Mueller for about $8 a pop.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Bypassing Binding Posts Triple_Binding_posts_1280

The binding posts on all VTA amps as of March of 2017 are the binding posts seen above. I get then from Antique Electronic Supply at this link > AES gold plated binding posts. These posts are 4 mm in diameter. Personally I don't think that hard wiring the transformer's secondary wires directly to the speaker will improve the sound of the amp. As Peter W. has said, you lose portability if you hard wire your amp to your speakers. I have 4 audio systems in the house here including one on my computer. From time to time I move gear in and out of one system. I like banana plugs to make quick moves. I have never really heard sound differences in an amp by changing out the binding posts. As long as a binding post is gold or rhodium plated and the banana plug makes good contact, the sound will be the same.

Bob
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Just wondered about those who have done it, no portability lost if wire screws used (not part of the question as well), I have heard differences in using different binding posts on speakers, and with no binding post at all.

Edit: Also Bob I wasn't trying to diss those binding posts, they are good quality. The M125's are all around good quality parts, no complaints from me. But as a permanent tweaker, it's in my blood until I lose interest. (which I finally did with a 69 vette thank god)
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:46 am

Is "wire screw" another name for a terminal block where one tightens a little screw on bare wire inserted into a hole below the screw? Or is this another device I'm not familiar with?

Sounds like maybe you are proposing just a different termination of the wires rather than soldering your speaker wire straight to Xover and amp output?
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 am

vtshopdog wrote:Is "wire screw" another name for a terminal block where one tightens a little screw on bare wire inserted into a hole below the screw?  Or is this another device I'm not familiar with?

Sounds like maybe you are proposing just a different termination of the wires rather than soldering your speaker wire straight to Xover and amp output?

No I just get these names from others, these things

so bare wire out the end of the amp, use these for the bare end from the speaker. Easy disconnect if need be, copper to copper, no solder.

Bypassing Binding Posts Wire_n10

GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am

Wirenuts
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Screw on wire nut connector thing
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

GP49 wrote:Wirenuts

I worked my way through school as an electrician - and have handled many wire nuts (also wing-nuts, fruits and nuts, and nuts of all stripes) in my time. They work - but their effectiveness is directly related to the wrist and finger strength of the user and/or the prep prior to use.

For solid wire, twist the wire together first making a good mechanical grab, clip square, then use the nut to preserve that grab against movement. And, "Dying Strain" are the watchwords when installing the nut.

For stranded wire, twist the strands together first, and twist until the entire wire starts to twist, and much strain applied.

For stranded-to-solid, extend the stranded about 1/8" beyond the solid - and as above thereafter.

The correct size is critical.

The final connection should be as strong as/stronger than the weakest wire in the chain, uncut.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 pm

jfine wrote:Screw on wire nut connector thing

I believe that's supposed to be "thingy".
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:25 pm

GP49 wrote:Wirenuts
    Yep. Wire-nuts.
    Agreed w/ Bob L. bananas are sweet. Best ones are the cold-welded type available at Blue Jeans Cable. They lock down extremely tight and I bet you could pick up an M-125 with the speaker wiring.
    Personally, I like spades as they've a tad more surface contact than anything other than tinned bare wire. But they *can* work loose so it's a good idea to re-torque from time to time. Wire nuts can be problematic, too. They've got to pass a pretty severe tug test and different gauge wires don't play well together in 'em.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:00 pm