The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+9
bluemeanies
chefothefuture
Peter W.
vtshopdog
Kentley
Bob Latino
wildiowa
jfine
deepee99
13 posters

What is sound-staging?

jfine
    jfine

What is sound-staging? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is sound-staging?

Post by jfine Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Zeppelin well? Now I'm sitting on my fingers Smile Oxymoron to follow.

Remind me not to ever shake hands with you.
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:54 pm

While he's not a huge fan of tubes, he has good insights and advice on this and other things audio...

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/disappearing-speakers/
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Speaking of Paul McG, he expressed something I've recently experienced myself when I got meself a nice REL subwoofer, The REL is great in that it allows one to use it as a "true" sub - i.e. one may set the low-pass (12db/octave shelf) as low as 24 cps (!!!). This allows one to effect a seamless transition between the mains lows and the "true" sub frequencies; in my case, the Tyler Halo2s do a great job down to around 42 cycles, then gently roll off until the bass is all-but-inaudible below 30. So I start the roll-off at 26 or 27 - very low, lower than the vast majority of subs will allow.
    What does this have to do with soundstage? Well, to my delight, it appears that a nice chunk of the necessary spatial illusion comes from subliminal (not even necessarily musical) cues at the lowest end of the low end. So adding a sub not only allows me to enjoy organ pedals and the like, but actually enhances the soundstage even when there's no "music" down there. But there IS important INFORMATION, such as the very faint movement of air itself which needs to be FELT in order to complete the illusion of space. Thus Also Sprach Paul McGowan.

Last edited by Kentley on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarifications.)
    buchela

Post by buchela Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 pm

"necessary spatial illusion comes from subliminal (not even necessarily musical) cues at the lowest end of the low end."
    Wow, college days showing. Dr. Kently?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm a self-taught pedant. Never made it past soph(istry). The only Doctorate I hold is less than, and equal to, B.S. Basketball
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am

Kentley wrote:I'm a self-taught pedant. Never made it past soph(istry). The only Doctorate I hold is less than, and equal to, B.S. Basketball

BS Bull-
    MS More-
    PhD (Piled higher and Deeper).

As to the low end and sound-stage, this makes perfect sense. Even if the signal is 'non-directional' and 'not really music', it is information that vastly increases the size of the stage based on the amount of signal there is.

Now, to my everlasting shame, I own and maintain one of these little devices:

https://www.hifiengine.com/files/images/Advent%20Model%20500%20SoundSpace%20Control.jpg

This is a full-digital time-delay system that uses sum/difference information in creating the 'rear' channels as well as directly injection front signal at some designed delay to mimic reflected sound. Yankee Stadium, anyone? Is this high-fidelity? Not hardly. But, it can be a LOT of fun. And if used judiciously with a decent equalizer, some truly impressive/offensive sounds are possible. Point being that at a more modest level, the more (accurate) information available to the listener, the more the listener will be able to 'build' a virtual sound stage.
    Kramer
    Kramer

Post by Kramer Thu May 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I was reading about this recently, some things I picked up to recreate good sound stage and imaging you also must slow down the reflections given off by your speakers. If you can slow the reflections from your speakers down lower than the rate of reflection in the musical recording it will help recreate the illusion your in the room with the musicians even more.

I purchased some cheap acoustic panels to test and was blown away by the difference. Soundstage instantly became substantially more separated and deeper. Have a couple of bass traps on the way now.

Last edited by Kramer on Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong terminology)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am