The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

tung sol KT120

baddog1946
    baddog1946

tung sol KT120 Empty tung sol KT120

Post by baddog1946 Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Bob:
    Sending this a second time as I think I screwed it up this morning.
    What is the latest on the KT 120 tubes. Are they still in your amp? I would appreciate your feedback now they are burned in a little.
    I am considering a back up quad for my ST120 and since they are a bit pricey I wondered what your thoughts were before I but a set.
    The long life factor appeals to me but I don't want to screw the pooch on the great sound I'm getting out of my broken in Gold Lion KT88's.
    Are they as good sonically?. Also have you and/or Roy had any more thoughts about an amp for these hi powers tubes?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

tung sol KT120 Empty Re: tung sol KT120

Post by Bob Latino Mon May 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi,

The Tung-Sol KT120 tubes are still in my ST-120 amp and are still playing well @ 75 milliamps bias current per tube. As I have mentioned before - they sound a little smoother or "tubier" than the Genalex Gold Lion KT88's that they replaced.

The KT120 tubes can be used in SOME KT88 based amps like the ST-120 without incident but you won't get the most out of these tubes unless you get the B+ up to the 650 to 720 VDC range and run at least 100 milliamps through each tube. These tubes are CAPABLE of 120-150 watts from a PAIR of tubes but you would have to design a new circuit around these tubes - AND - this new circuit wouldn't be able to use any other output tubes. You would be locked into these tubes AND what if they don't sell well and Tung-Sol decides to stop making them? You would be stuck with a circuit with obsolete tubes.

Bob
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Good points Bob!
    As usual you have pointed out what I needed to know most succinctly. thank you. If I find some money I don't need I still might try a quad just to satisfy my audio habit but your point is well taken, thanks.
    Baddog1946

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:23 am