The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

I let the smoke out.

bbqjoe

Re: I let the smoke out.

Post by bbqjoe on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm

audiobill wrote:You don't need insulation on legs....
    Unless you live in Minnasoda! Oofda! tongue
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:32 pm

I discussed this with Roy a couple of days ago .. If you set the Russian K42-Y PIO caps as below (first photo) you don't really need the shrink tubing around the two leads. Set UP like this, the caps will be about 1/4 of an inch above the board and the leads should not be able to touch anything on the board. Now - Considering that the inner lead does have about 275 VDC and the outer lead about -40 to -50 VDC what I am going to do is include shrink tubing on all future Russian PIO caps as seen in the SECOND photo. The second photo shows the installation of the two leads with the black shrink tubing. After the cap is installed you can use a hair dryer to shrink the tubing around the lead.

Bob

audiobill

Post by audiobill on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 am

With the insulation, be sure to solder carefully so there is good contact to the board. I like to sand the leads a little before soldering to be sure there is.

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 pm

When I'm more clear on the AB board, I'll replace my K-40Y's with the longer, thinner K-42Y's.
    I put clear heat shrink on the 42's so the values could still be read. I'll heat shrink the leads when I do the install.

billinrio

Post by billinrio Today at 12:18 pm

bbqjoe wrote:

Anyways, here's where my problem was.
    I broke the wire going to the switch while tying everything up.
    It arced between the switch and the resistor.
    Resistor was fried, not to mention the switch.

The place in your initial post where you say you replaced the original switch with a toggle switch did raise a red flag for me.
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Today at 4:34 pm

billinrio wrote:
    The place in your initial post where you say you replaced the original switch with a toggle switch did raise a red flag for me.
    It's just as simple as a switch can be.

I found the slider switch could be slid, and not make proper contact consistently. Toggles just don't behave like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm