The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Hooking up a tape deck to the SP 14

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Hooking up a tape deck to the SP 14 - Page 2 Empty Re: Hooking up a tape deck to the SP 14

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Okay! Makes sense.
    It will certainly simplify the set up if I can lose the buffer.
    My Pioneer arrives tomorrow and I will remove the Tascam CD recorder as there will be no place to hook it up (temporarily) and set up the reel to reel after removing the buffer from the system.

I will report back and thanks!
    Dave

PS Losing the Yaqin buffer will also give me an extra 7" of needed space.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Hooking up a tape deck to the SP 14 - Page 2 Empty Re: Hooking up a tape deck to the SP 14

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Of course, another complication. my PH 14 is an older mode using 6922 tubes. I don't know if it has a buffer or not. More later.
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:Of course, another complication. my PH 14 is an older mode using 6922 tubes. I don't know if it has a buffer or not. More later.

Well... This is where we are so lucky to have the designer of these boards right here on the forum! I am sure Roy will chime in soon and we will find out if your older PH14 has an output buffer like the new one does. Did you get a schematic?
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Dave, I found a related thread from you from 3 years ago when you had just bought a used PH14/SP14 combo and the PH14 turned out to be a PH15. Is this the same equipment we are talking about here?

If so, this post from Roy back then seems to indicate that the PH15 does have an output buffer.

tubes4hifi wrote:Dave got a real steal of a deal, if I'd seen them I would have bought them myself, at half the price of a new kit!
    Dave - for the phono tubes, many of the 6DJ8 & 7308 types can be highly microphonic, so I'd suggest you only buy tubes that have been pre-tested
    for low noise, very important in the phono stage.  The final 12AU7 in the PH15 isn't critical, as it's just an output buffer, no gain.
    For new tubes, check out all the various options here . . . http://www.upscaleaudio.com/vacuum-tubes/preamp-tubes/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/
    the Philips and Pope 7DJ8s are excellent.   Also Jim McShane can pre-test Genelex Gold Lion tubes for you.
    For used tubes, check here . . . http://tctubes.com/6DJ8-6922-ECC88-E88CC-7308-tubes.aspx
    and also here . . . . http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Yes, same gear.
    I'll have to look up that thread as I don't remember the mention of a PH 15, but it's the same line and phono pre-amps I'm using now.

I don't even remember ever hearing of a PH 15.

Thanks again. Sorry for the slow reply, went for a hike to clear the cobwebs.
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks.
    Now I remember the thread.
    It looks like I'll be hooking up the reel to reel directly to the SP 14 tape loop and the EQ in between the SP 14 and the ST 70 (as per Holger's email suggestion).
    Lose the Yaqin buffer.
    Eventually try and add the Tascam CD recorder in via a switch box (Thanks Peter).
    I guess my need for the buffer ended when I got the PH 15/SP 14. Who knew?

Roy, if you read this, can you let us know what was the story on the PH 15?

I'll report back after I get everything hooked up. The Pioneer arrives tomorrow but I'll be waiting for some tape to run through it for a couple of days.

Thanks rjpjnk!
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Glad to help. Hopefully when Roy shows up and grades my work I will get an A Smile

Now all this talking about buffering phono stages is making me think about upgrading my own stuff...

Guess I should start a new thread. So I will!

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:58 am

Whew.....
    Well I got the deck and tried to get everything hooked up like I stated above.
    The EQ simply doesn't work this way. Buffer out, EQ in between SP 14 and ST 7O.

So I removed the EQ, the Tascam CD recorder and hooked up the pioneer reel to reel to the tape loop of the SP 14.

I'm just too ragged to try and fool with it anymore. This took hours and as the pic I posted shows, it's horrible trying to get to all of the connections.

I have pre-recoreded reel to reel tape I may try out later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:22 pm