The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3

Poll

Which one would you keep?

[ 2 ]
    Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Vote_lcap40%Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Vote_rcap [40%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Vote_lcap60%Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Vote_rcap [60%] 

Total Votes: 5
    Poll closed
    MarkeMark

Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Empty Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3

Post by MarkeMark Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 pm

It has recently been brought to my attention by my significant other that I have become a hoarder of all things audio. In an attempt to change my ways I have decided to lighten my load by possibly, maybe, someday soon sell one of these Dynaco amps. I am however (secretly) raising funds to help pay for perhaps an ST-70 or a mono block setup. I also have an FM3 that will be needing a new home. All these units work well for being original and for the most part have original Dynaco branded tubes. No mods except for new coupling caps on the SCA-35. I did however keep the old caps.

My questions to you is which of the two, the SCA-35 or PAS3 would you keep and why? Would you sell the FM3 with the amp or a separate sale?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3 Empty Re: Which one to keep? SCA-35 or PAS3

Post by Peter W. Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am

Lemme see…
    I keep two PAS 3x and one SCA35. The PAS drive a 70 and a 35 respectively, and each has an FM3 associated with it. The 70-based system drives a pair of AR4x, the 35 drives an AR Athena sub-sat system. The SCA drives a pair of Dynaco A25s. Fortunately, I have an understanding wife, a room for my hobbies, and between the office and two houses, room for seven active audio systems. I may cull the herd someday – but not quite yet.

Now, in direct answer to your question:

• The SCA35 is independent unto itself, has multiple inputs that may be modified as-needed, and a pretty good phono head-amp on board. Put very crudely, it is ‘cute and compact’ and serves its purpose well.  It may be modified to drive high-impedance headphones as well.
    • The SCA also has multiple inputs and a decent phono head-amp. With a few simple tweaks it will match comfortably with any power amp, but as a stand-alone will not drive headphones.

So! If reducing the amount of *stuff* is the goal, keep the 35, thereby limiting your system to a flea power. If flexibility is the goal, keep the PAS – as you will have more future flexibility. Or, keep the 35 for your shop system, and the PAS for the main system.

On the open market, an unmolested, fully operational SCA35 should fetch $400 or more. Which, as it happens, is about the same as an unmolested, fully operational PAS 3x will fetch. There are occasional sports that go well above those numbers – something that is unusually clean, or contains specific mods.

On the FM3 - separately, if you choose to sell it. Together drags down the price of both - unless you find *THAT* buyer that wants the pair, usually via a high BIN price. Note that of the six substantially different tuners I own, the FM3s are the sweetest sounding of:

Revox A720 - flat-out the best performer overall.
    Citation 18
    Dynaco FM5 & AF6
    Dynaco FM3
    AR Tuner (original)
    Hafler DH330

Last edited by Peter W. on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Including FM3)

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 pm