The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Auto Bias board documentation?

Kray
    Kray

Auto Bias board documentation? Empty Auto Bias board documentation?

Post by Kray Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi All,

I just picked up a Bob Latino ST120 with all the upgrades used and it has the auto bias board. It also has digital meters in place of the original from sockets which is pretty cool eye candy... that said, is there any documentation on the auto bias board? I'm showing it steady at .50, but will fluctuate up when being pushed harder. seen it as high as .57 using Sovtek 6550WE's. is that normal?

Interstingly the first time I fired it up it had a bigger fluctuation in bias reading, but I had it turned off for couple hours and turned it on now and it seems to be way more steady around .50 never going over .52
    pichacker
    pichacker

Auto Bias board documentation? Empty Re: Auto Bias board documentation?

Post by pichacker Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 am

Due to the damping factor in the control loop of the AB board you will see the "bias" voltages fluctuate as music is played. This is normal as the tubes do their job.

The AB control loop time is in the order of seconds so to accurately see what standing bias current you have you need to check during times of no audio.

With respect to the meter readings you are seeing, how accurate are the meters fitted to your amp?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am

here's a link to the documentation . . .
    http://www.wop.cz/files/AB-Q_ST-70_ST120_manual.pdf
    Kray
    Kray

Post by Kray Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:08 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:here's a link to the documentation . . .
    http://www.wop.cz/files/AB-Q_ST-70_ST120_manual.pdf

Thanks!
    Kray
    Kray

Post by Kray Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm

pichacker wrote:Due to the damping factor in the control loop of the AB board you will see the "bias" voltages fluctuate as music is played. This is normal as the tubes do their job.

The AB control loop time is in the order of seconds so to accurately see what standing bias current you have you need to check during times of no audio.

With respect to the meter readings you are seeing, how accurate are the meters fitted to your amp?

Honestly I'm not sure how accurate they are. at idle, it will constantly read ~.50

I'll try to find out who installed them and which ones they used.
    pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Kray wrote:Hi All,

I just picked up a Bob Latino ST120 with all the upgrades used and it has the auto bias board. It also has digital meters in place of the original from sockets which is pretty cool eye candy... that said, is there any documentation on the auto bias board? I'm showing it steady at .50, but will fluctuate up when being pushed harder. seen it as high as .57 using Sovtek 6550WE's. is that normal?

Interstingly the first time I fired it up it had a bigger fluctuation in bias reading, but I had it turned off for couple hours and turned it on now and it seems to be way more steady around .50 never going over .52
    1. if there is no signal (music), the AB sets the bias voltage according to the bias level set by the trimmer
    2. When a signal is present, the bias voltage is set to the linear portion of the tubes anode characteristic
    3. Depending on the signal level, the AB adjusts that level along the linear path and tries to keep it at the lowest region of the anode current. This saves tubes.
    4. With points 1 and 2, the AB WILL ALWAYS set the exact anode current in the primary winding of the output transformer.
    Pavel
    Kray
    Kray

Post by Kray Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:20 pm

pavlikkkk wrote:
    1. if there is no signal (music), the AB sets the bias voltage according to the bias level set by the trimmer
    2. When a signal is present, the bias voltage is set to the linear portion of the tubes anode characteristic
    3. Depending on the signal level, the AB adjusts that level along the linear path and tries to keep it at the lowest region of the anode current. This saves tubes.
    4. With points 1 and 2, the AB WILL ALWAYS set the exact anode current in the primary winding of the output transformer.
    Pavel

Thanks for the great explanation Pavel. So it would be common to see this level get up into the .70's? peak?
    pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:00 am

Kray wrote:
    pavlikkkk wrote:
    Pavel

Thanks for the great explanation Pavel. So it would be common to see this level get up into the .70's? peak?
    yes, but only for a moment, depending on the signal strength.
    Pavel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:33 am