The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics

ViperZ
    ViperZ

Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics Empty Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics

Post by ViperZ Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me what is the difference between power transformers for ST-70 that are sold by Dynakitparts and Triode Electronics?

Electrically, they seem identical. Any preferences?

Thanks!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics Empty Re: Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 pm

ViperZ wrote:Hi all,

Could anyone tell me what is the difference between power transformers for ST-70 that are sold by Dynakitparts and Triode Electronics?

Electrically, they seem identical. Any preferences?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have used both and I prefer the Dynakitparts PA-060. Although fuctionally they are probably pretty much the same, the Dynakitparts PA-060 has a bottom cover and has the wiring come out to the front of the bottom cover just like the original PA-060. The Triode power transformer comes with no bottom cover. Oh - Triode will sell you a bottom cover for an extra $5.00 but IMHO they should supply the bottom cover. A bottom cover on a power transformer will shield the bottom of the transformer from emitting EMI (electromagnetic interference) that could be picked up by the amp's audio circuitry. The Dynakitparts PA-060 also cost $8.00 less than the one from Triode Electronics.

Bob
    ViperZ
    ViperZ

Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics Empty Re: Power Transformers - Dynakitparts vs. Triode Electronics

Post by ViperZ Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks Bob! Concise and clear explanation! I bought most of my Dynaco parts from Kevin, but I just wanted to make sure that I understand the differences between transformers clearly, as this is a high-value purchase for me.
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 pm

I second what Bob Latino said above.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 am

Just so you know, I bought the ST70 transformer kit and choke from Triode Electronics a few years ago. The transformer didn't include a bottom cover. I bought the one they supply, and found out the openings are on the top, not the side. In my opinion, that cover should have been included for free. And the insulation on the wires seems a little thin, the overall size of the wire diameter (including the insulation) is rather small. Otherwise, a very good transformer kit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm