The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
ramon68
Hops
chad1376
7 posters

How do you dust your equipment?

chad1376
    chad1376

How do you dust your equipment? Empty How do you dust your equipment?

Post by chad1376 Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 pm

So - I live in the desert, have dogs and often leave the doors and windows open for fresh air. My house and gear gets dusty - quickly and frequently.

OK - so canned air is the obvious answer. I'm stubborn, since I have a big 80-gallon air compressor in the garage and canned air is just so wasteful. (I just drag my computers into the garage to dust those out.)

I really hate to drag a compressor hose through the house to dust an amp. Pulling tubes and hauling a heavy ST-70 outside is a lot of work. I've been using a big soft paint brush, but it doesn't get into the nooks and crannies.

Should I just suck it up and buy air? What do you all use?
    Hops

How do you dust your equipment? Empty Re: How do you dust your equipment?

Post by Hops Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 pm

I think they make small portable Air Tanks that you can fill with your compressor and carry to your ST-70. I have seen these at work.
    ramon68

Post by ramon68 Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 am

How do you deal with LPs in that environment?
    StevieRay

Post by StevieRay Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:13 am

I use a combination of super fluffy makeup brushes of different sizes (they don't scratch), canned air, and microfiber cloths when needed.

Not all dust will just "blow off" but you do get most of it with air.

I too have an air compressor, and have thought about either a long hose from the garage or one of those portable air tanks.

HOWEVER -- just like you wouldn't fill diving tanks from your home compressor, neither do you want to spray your hi-fi with that air.  Unless SUPER filtered for moisture and oil, you'll be spraying that filthy air all over your components.  It's fine for running air tools, filling up tires, blowing out the computer occasionally -- but on my tube amp, my turntable, etc. -- HELL NO.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 am

I've been using a "can duster" (compressed air in a can) for a number of years now to dust off tube audio gear. See Ebay link below ..

Air duster cans on Ebay

Bob

Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Use a dust can for the small stuff but have a small nozzle on my 1960's Electrolux canister vac (rebuilt several times and is a tank), flip the hose to the outlet side and Voila!
    chad1376
    chad1376

Post by chad1376 Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone

I think a cheapo portable tank from Harbor Freight could work well in the house - for cleaning PC's and other stuff too. I like makeup brush idea for getting in the tight spots.

My compressor air is fine...It's stays pumped up at 120 psi 24/7, and has a huge tank. Any moisture/oil settles to the bottom, about 4' below the hose connection. The only time it spits anything is during heavy use - like after 2-hours running a die-grinder Wink

Records? - sheesh, my house isn't that dusty. I keep 'em in their cover, on a shelf, unless I'm playing them... just like anyone else. I keep the cover on my turntable unless I'm using it too.
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 am

Use the "11" position on the stepped attenuator. It will also brush the extra hair out of the cat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm