The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120

eminence1963
    eminence1963

vta st120 - Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120 Empty Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120

Post by eminence1963 23rd March 2020, 10:13 pm

Did the cap upgrade and now I get no sound, and I cant BIAS the tubes. What the heck did I do wrong. All tubes light up and no blown fuses. No magic smoke either upon power up. Nothing looks out of place as far as I can see. All wires look to be connected. Using the cap upgrade kit from Bob. Help PLEASE
    rayton

vta st120 - Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120 Empty Re: Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120

Post by rayton 24th March 2020, 12:54 am

Maybe check ground of input/output
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

vta st120 - Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120 Empty Re: Upgraded caps and now no sound on St120

Post by Bob Latino 24th March 2020, 8:33 am

eminence1963 wrote:Did the cap upgrade and now I get no sound, and I cant BIAS the tubes. What the heck did I do wrong. All tubes light up and no blown fuses. No magic smoke either upon power up. Nothing looks out of place as far as I can see. All wires look to be connected. Using the cap upgrade kit from Bob. Help PLEASE

It could be just a coincidence that your rectifier "died" at the same time you did the swap to the upgraded caps.. With the amp ON, check the DC voltage from pin #8 of the rectifier tube socket to chassis ground. On a VTA ST-120 you should get 485  to 515 VDC. If you get no voltage here, the rectifier is not working. Note that just because the rectifier tube "lights up" is no guarantee that this rectifier is good. Try a different rectifier tube and see what happens ?

Bob
    eminence1963
    eminence1963

Post by eminence1963 24th March 2020, 12:23 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    eminence1963 wrote:Did the cap upgrade and now I get no sound, and I cant BIAS the tubes. What the heck did I do wrong. All tubes light up and no blown fuses. No magic smoke either upon power up. Nothing looks out of place as far as I can see. All wires look to be connected. Using the cap upgrade kit from Bob. Help PLEASE

It could be just a coincidence that your rectifier "died" at the same time you did the swap to the upgraded caps.. With the amp ON, check the DC voltage from pin #8 of the rectifier tube socket to chassis ground. On a VTA ST-120 you should get 485  to 515 VDC. If you get no voltage here, the rectifier is not working. Note that just because the rectifier tube "lights up" is no guarantee that this rectifier is good. Try a different rectifier tube and see what happens ?

Bob
    You are right Bob the rectifier tube is not working. I plugged the unit back in with a dummy load attached and no tubes installed minus the rectifier tube installed and tube does not light up. I have to order some and get back with you when they come in. Who knows how long that's gonna be though with the world being upside down.
    Bob if you are reading this, can you answer another question? When I plug the meter its a Fluke into the BIAS points with power off  not plugged into the wall outlet  no tubes installed the meter shows continuity is this correct? I am a newbe to all this. So please bear with me on the stupid questions. Just trying to be safe, as I know there are lethal voltages lurking underneath the panel. Thank you for your responses.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino 24th March 2020, 12:27 pm

Bob if you are reading this, can you answer another question? When I plug the meter its a Fluke into the BIAS points with power off  not plugged into the wall outlet  no tubes installed the meter shows continuity is this correct? I am a newbe to all this. So please bear with me on the stupid questions. Just trying to be safe, as I know there are lethal voltages lurking underneath the panel. Thank you for your responses.[/quote]

Yes - with the amp off your meter will show continuity through the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor on that socket to chassis ground.

Bob
    eminence1963
    eminence1963

Post by eminence1963 24th March 2020, 12:44 pm

Got it thanks
    eminence1963
    eminence1963

Post by eminence1963 26th March 2020, 7:04 pm

Thank You Bob replace rectifier tube and amp is now making music once again. I was sweating that I screwed something up.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino 26th March 2020, 7:52 pm

eminence1963 wrote:Thank You Bob replace rectifier tube and amp is now making music once again. I was sweating that I screwed something up.

Glad to hear that you are up and running again ..

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19th May 2024, 7:33 pm