The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red

knotscott
    knotscott

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red Empty RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red

Post by knotscott Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:54 am

I'm finishing up the 2nd of my original Dynaco ST-70 rebuilds with the VTA driver board.  (First one sounds amazing BTW!).  The right channel is giving me bias problems.  The 0.40 bias holds up for a few minutes, then the bias on the front right channel output tube skyrockets and the tube glows cherry red.  That also drops the bias on the rear tube.  I've tried three different tubes of two brands, and the story is the same.  Left channel is fine.  Everything except for the PT and OPTs is new, including the quad cap.  I don't see any issues with the socket or the solder connections....what else can I check

Edit: I put the amp back on the bench, and rechecked every connection, resoldered several, and measured most of the components.  I basically found no smoking gun, but decided to give it another go hooked up to the system.  It held bias well, played, and actually sounded pretty good for nearly 20 minutes. After around 20 minutes, it started to distort badly, and the bias skyrocketed again.  I shut the amp down, and am not sure what to do next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by knotscott on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red Empty Re: RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red

Post by Bob Latino Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:23 pm

knotscott wrote:I'm finishing up the 2nd of my original Dynaco ST-70 rebuilds with the VTA driver board.  (First one sounds amazing BTW!).  The right channel is giving me bias problems.  The 0.40 bias holds up for a few minutes, then the bias on the front right channel output tube skyrockets and the tube glows cherry red.  That also drops the bias on the rear tube.  I've tried three different tubes of two brands, and the story is the same.  Left channel is fine.  Everything except for the PT and OPTs is new, including the quad cap.  I don't see any issues with the socket or the solder connections....what else can I check

Edit: I put the amp back on the bench, and rechecked every connection, resoldered several, and measured most of the components.  I basically found no smoking gun, but decided to give it another go hooked up to the system.  It held bias well, played, and actually sounded pretty good for nearly 20 minutes. After around 20 minutes, it started to distort badly, and the bias skyrocketed again.  I shut the amp down, and am not sure what to do next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check to see if the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor that goes from pins 1/8 to chassis ground on that right front tube socket does measure 10 ohms ? If that resistor is open or it measures something other than 10 ohms, that might be what is wrong ?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    knotscott
    knotscott

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red Empty Re: RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red

Post by knotscott Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    knotscott wrote:I'm finishing up the 2nd of my original Dynaco ST-70 rebuilds with the VTA driver board.  (First one sounds amazing BTW!).  The right channel is giving me bias problems.  The 0.40 bias holds up for a few minutes, then the bias on the front right channel output tube skyrockets and the tube glows cherry red.  That also drops the bias on the rear tube.  I've tried three different tubes of two brands, and the story is the same.  Left channel is fine.  Everything except for the PT and OPTs is new, including the quad cap.  I don't see any issues with the socket or the solder connections....what else can I check

Check to see if the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor that goes from pins 1/8 to chassis ground on that right front tube socket does measure 10 ohms ? If that resistor is open or it measures something other than 10 ohms, that might be what is wrong ?

Bob

Thanks Bob - I did check those resistors and it read 10 ohms.  I will do a double check just to be certain that it grounds properly. Any other thoughts?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:41 pm

See if you can post on the forum here a fairly large photo of the inside wiring of this amp. Maybe one of us can pick up on something in the wiring that could cause the problem your are experiencing.

Bob

knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:59 pm

The tube and socket in question appear in the upper right corner of the pic.

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red 000_3612

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red 000_3610

This was the amp while holding bias for 20 minutes before it acted up.

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red 000_3613
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:03 am

Just a thought....I added Triode/Pentode switches, along with the suggested 100 ohm 1 watt resistors to pin 3.  They're physically located right off the switch....would it better to move them closer to the socket?

RESOLVED: Original Dynaco ST-70 with VTA driver board bias Problem - One Output Tube Glows Cherry Red Triode10
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:01 pm

Update: Still no clue what's causing this.  The situation is worse now than before, because it will no longer bias on that socket at all vs playing for 20 minutes before.  Out of desperation I did do the following:

- swapped out the bias trim pot - no change
    - replaced and rewired the entire faulty socket - no change
    - disconnected, stripped, and resoldered OPT ground wires - no change
    - replaced the 0.33uF cap that goes to pin 5 - no change
    - changed the tube again - no change

Since I have no idea what else to look for, can anyone offer any suggestions?  Thank you in advance!

Last edited by knotscott on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:50 pm

knotscott wrote:Update: Still no clue what's causing this.  The situation is worse now than before, because it will no longer bias on that socket at all vs playing for 20 minutes before.  Out of desperation I did do the following:

- swapped out the bias trim pot - no change
    - replaced and rewired the entire faulty socket - no change
    - disconnected, stripped, and resoldered OPT ground wires - no change

Since I have no idea what else to look for, can anyone offer any suggestions?

What is the voltage on pin 5 ( grid) compared to pin 5 on another tube.
    Leakage in the coupling cap will cause similar symptoms.
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying.  Voltage to pin 5 of the offending tube is ~ - 62VDC, all others were near - 40VDC.

About the time you were replying, I was replacing the 0.3 uf cap that goes to pin 5....is that the coupling cap?.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:28 pm

knotscott wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying.  Voltage to pin 5 of the offending tube is ~ - 62VDC, all others were near - 40VDC.

About the time you were replying, I was replacing the 0.3 uf cap that goes to pin 5....is that the coupling cap?.
    The coupling cap ( 0.22 uF in the schematics, larger will only make life harder ) is
    connected to pin 5 yes.

-62 VDC ? This should cut off the tube completly.
    I would be suspecting the triod/ul switch. Why not disconnect it completly and
    wire the amp as per the manual.
    Also, tube that has been redplated should not be trusted - ever ! It's only place is
    in the dustbin.
    One solution, if that is doable, is to send it to bob.
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks again, will definitely try it without the switch, and will reduce the caps to 0.22.  

BTW - those voltage readings were all done with the output tubes removed, so I'm assuming all would be a bit lower once the outputs go back in.

Last edited by knotscott on Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:55 pm

knotscott wrote:Thanks again, will definitely try it with the switch, and will reduce the caps to 0.22.  

BTW - those voltage readings were all done with the output tubes removed, so I'm assuming all would be a bit lower once the outputs go back in.

Naa, the tubes will not load this voltage at all. ( speaking about good tubes).
    Try to measure the voltage when bias is correct, if you dont want to
    measure with amp upside down, adjust bias , turn off, remove tubes including rectifier,
    power up and measure pin 5 again.
    knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:51 pm

It's a very appropriate evening to say "Hallelujah"!  It lives!!   Very Happy  Very Happy  bounce  bounce

Knock wood the amp's been playing nicely for over 2 hours now.  It had multiple issues, most of which were my own doing.  

- problem #1 - I believe was a bad socket.
    - problem #2 was the lead from the replaced coupler cap grounding against the chassis
    - problem #3 was the speaker jack washer ever so slightly touching the chassis and shorting the output

All issues seem to be resolved.  My mistakes were to use spacers between the chassis and PCB that were too short, and shoddy design on my DIY speaker terminals.  The folks at VTA have been doing this for a while, and life would have been much easier had I just followed their instructions to the letter.  Next time! ;-)

Thanks again for those who chimed in.  It's a frustrating feeling to have this much time and money into a project with no clue how to fix it. Your support is much appreciated.

Happy Easter!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm