The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light

knotscott
    knotscott

RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light Empty RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light

Post by knotscott Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:25 pm

My Dynakit ST-70 with a VTA PCB has been working nicely for over two months and has about 30 hours on it.  It played beautifully last night.  Today I went to fire it up, and the front output tube on the right side didn't light, and had 0 bias voltage.  The rear tube on the same channel lit up and had normal bias.  The left channel was fine.  It also appeared that the middle and right side driver tubes weren't lit.  I switched out several tubes to eliminate them as possibilities.

It's got a new VTA driver board, new quad cap, and new tubes.  What can cause this?

Last edited by knotscott on Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light Empty Re: RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light

Post by Bob Latino Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm

knotscott wrote:My Dynakit ST-70 with a VTA PCB has been working nicely for over two months and has about 30 hours on it.  It played beautifully last night.  Today I went to fire it up, and the front output tube on the right side didn't light, and had 0 bias voltage.  The rear tube on the same channel lit up and had normal bias.  The left channel was fine.  It also appeared that the middle and right side driver tubes weren't lit.  I switched out several tubes to eliminate them as possibilities.

It's got a new VTA driver board, new quad cap, and new tubes.  What can cause this?

The most likely cause is that the 6.3 volt AC filament line that goes between the rear output tube pins 2 and 7 to the front output tube's pins 2 and 7 has a bad solder connection on the front output tube. Resolder pins 2 and 7 on the front right output tube socket.

Bob
    knotscott
    knotscott

RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light Empty Re: RESOLVED - original Dyna / VTA ST-70- One Output Tubes Doesn't Light

Post by knotscott Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    knotscott wrote:My Dynakit ST-70 with a VTA PCB has been working nicely for over two months and has about 30 hours on it.  It played beautifully last night.  Today I went to fire it up, and the front output tube on the right side didn't light, and had 0 bias voltage.  The rear tube on the same channel lit up and had normal bias.  The left channel was fine.  It also appeared that the middle and right side driver tubes weren't lit.  I switched out several tubes to eliminate them as possibilities.

The most likely cause is that the 6.3 volt AC filament line that goes between the rear output tube pins 2 and 7 to the front output tube's pins 2 and 7 has a bad solder connection on the front output tube. Resolder pins 2 and 7 on the front right output tube socket.

Bob

You da Man Bob! You were 100% correct....an easy fix.  Thank you so much!

Ironically, I had just worked out all the bugs on amp #2, and get was getting ready to test fire the bi-amping setup when amp #1 failed!  It's always something!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:43 am