The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dynaco Cap Board

Mark Korda

Dynaco Cap Board Empty Dynaco Cap Board

Post by Mark Korda Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi, I'm rebuilding a Dyna PAS and one thing I acquired is a PAS cap board from Sheldon Stokes. The only thing that is halting my project is that I can't find Sheldons step by step instructions. For some reason everything else comes up but that step by step.There is a guy on You Tube who installs Sheldon's cap board upside down and that's not what Sheldon intended.If anyone has those instructions I'll make it worth your trouble.Thanks so much...Mark Korda (kordamark@gmail.com)

Dynaco Cap Board Empty Re: Dynaco Cap Board

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi Peter, I already have what you found and sent me.Thank you so much for your effort as you could not get any better instructions on building the board. What is missing are the step by step instructions for the wiring that Sheldon wrote.I think Triode Electronics might have it but I have already bought the board and caps. Whats screwing me up is the You Tube video I have watched over and over but the tech installs the board upside down which Sheldons picture shows right side up. Peter I think Sheldon measured all the wires first,soldered them to the bottom of the board, and fed the wires very carefully thru the chassis hole to the appointed circuit board holes.Then he must have bolted it down in position.I can't start without the playbook. Thanks again Peter and by the way I saw some pictures of your project on a ST-70 rebuild.Your wiring and neatness are beyond perfect as just looking at the construction detail already makes it sound great without even being turned on! You have helped me and also inspired me.Project PAS goes forward!Thanks Pete...Mark Korda
    Midwestside
    Midwestside

Post by Midwestside Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Mark Korda wrote:Hi Peter, I already have what you found and sent me.Thank you so much for your effort as you could not get any better instructions on building the board. What is missing are the step by step instructions for the wiring  that Sheldon wrote.I think Triode Electronics might have it but I have already bought the board and caps. Whats screwing me up is the You Tube video I have watched over and over but the tech installs the board upside down which Sheldons picture shows right side up. Peter I think Sheldon measured all the wires first,soldered them to the bottom of the board, and fed the wires very carefully thru the chassis hole to the appointed circuit board holes.Then he must have bolted it down in position.I can't start without the playbook. Thanks again Peter and by the way I saw some pictures of your project on a ST-70 rebuild.Your wiring and neatness are beyond perfect as just looking at the construction detail already makes it sound great without even being turned on! You have helped me and also inspired me.Project PAS goes forward!Thanks Pete...Mark Korda

I started a thread about this too. I'm going to do this to my PAS as well. I watched the Youtube vid you speak of and figured that i would watch and learn. Then i searched and saw many people were getting stuck with the sds board install. I figued maybe you could reach out to the content creator and explain and see if he could help you out as well.
    I'll be sitting on the sidelines to see what comes our way.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun May 10, 2020 4:22 am

Mark Korda wrote:Hi, I'm rebuilding a Dyna PAS and one thing I acquired is a PAS cap board from Sheldon Stokes. The only thing that is halting my project is that I can't find Sheldons step by step instructions. For some reason everything else comes up but that step by step.There is a guy on You Tube who installs Sheldon's cap board upside down and that's not what Sheldon intended.If anyone has those instructions I'll make it worth your trouble.Thanks so much...Mark Korda (kordamark@gmail.com)
    You might not need further instructions if you make your own :-)
    The board itself is already mounted ? Then the issue is what connections to
    make, here is the PAS manual and the power boards your source, and a systematic approach
    ( one wire at a time ) will make life easier.
    To start with i generally find it much easier to route the wires on the top side of the chassies, this also
    makes it less hum sensitive.
    It happens that i have pictures of one similar board and it's mounting in a PAS :
    http://n.manet.nu/pas3/index.html
    scroll down to third picture
    Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda Sun May 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi PeterH, thanks for the picture.The way I learned to solder for the best connections is on the other side of the board.I thought about the way you have it soldered but opted not to. I'm figuring that in Sheldons instructions he must have pre soldered the wires to the holes(underneath)the cap board.Then when mounting the cap board he very carefully fed them thru the chassis hole before they are soldered to the main circuit boards.He
    must of put the board on a slant or angle to get the transformer wires connected before mounting the cap board. I bought some nice Teflon wire and it does not strip as easy as easy as the other and I would want to have that done before I go tugging any wire connected to the cap board.This is why I am itching to see the step by step instructions.Thanks Peter...…….Westside, I am going to email Sheldon and Try Triode Electronics too and will share anything I can find so we can get our PAS's going.Peter, the board is marked where the wires go but I would really like to get those instructions to double check stuff....thanks you guys,I'll see what I can find....Mark

Post by Guest Sun May 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda Sun May 10, 2020 7:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQNcpeX9VE&t=584s  Hi guys, this guy puts it in upside down according to the picture from Sheldon Stokes.Thanks for the help guys....Mark Korda
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon May 11, 2020 3:03 am

Mark Korda wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQNcpeX9VE&t=584s  Hi guys, this guy puts it in upside down according to the picture from Sheldon Stokes.Thanks for the help guys....Mark Korda
    He also routes cables long way across the amp as he insist on routing
    them all under the chassies.
    Looking at sds documentation shows short red wires instead. Most of
    the wires are soldered before the board is mounted ( exception is the
    blue filament AC wires ) and then cut and soldered at their endpoints.
    I consider it good engineering to replace old wires where the insulation
    protects 100+ volts. In my example i also routed the filament with twisted
    wires on the topside, the intention is to shorten the disturbing humfields.
    PAS is, as many tubeamps, sensitive for hum injected by wire routing and
    inproper grounding.
    Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda Thu May 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi Peter H, Thanks for the info.My PAS is as stripped down as can be.Tone controls,spatial control,loudness,high filter,balance control and the wafer switch.I would like to send you a picture when I can figure this IPad out.One thing I see are some diodes hanging off to the corner oon your board.My board has the diodes in the board. Peter, what is life like in Sweden with this Corona virus.I live outside Portland Maine? Thanks for any tips and info , sincerely Mark.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 am

Mark Korda wrote:Hi Peter H, Thanks for the info.My PAS is as stripped down as can be.Tone controls,spatial control,loudness,high filter,balance control and the wafer switch.I would like to send you a picture when I can figure this IPad out.One thing I see are some diodes hanging off to the corner oon your board.My board has the diodes in the board. Peter, what is life like in Sweden with this Corona virus.I live outside Portland Maine? Thanks for any tips and info , sincerely Mark.
    The diodes at the corner replaces the 12x4, this to save precious power from the
    tiny transformer. There is also diodes for the filament on the board that might not
    be visible in the pictures.

Life in sweden is somewhat dull now due to corona. Events theaters and sports events are
    closed, large groups of people is banned ( above 50 persons).
    Health care system does however cope with the pandemi, yesterday i was
    at a hospital for a cardiac x-ray and a following stent installation.
    Industies have started up, volvo cars and trucks have started low level production,
    skf never stopped production , some white-collars have been home.
    One thing that worked well was that salary funded from government payed
    salary when factories temporary closed down, this instead of firing of people. Thus
    when factories starts again all personnel are available and production can continue.

Worst effects of the pandemi is airline business that has virtually halted and tourist
    activities as there is no foreign tourists entereing sweden.

How about your region ? Are you affected ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 pm