The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

AC Power Issue

jimmeq
    jimmeq

AC Power Issue Empty AC Power Issue

Post by jimmeq Fri May 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi all, and I hope everyone is staying healthy and home enjoying music and their VTA amp!

I have only a 100A service and when the window unit A/C is on, running anything other than the HiFi tends to trip the breaker. Today, the vacuum tripped it. Being in a manufactured home for the past 12 years, I've come to realize the shortcomings, especially in the AC department. Sigh. About a month ago, the AC went off/on/off/on/off and power was lost to the house. I later found out a car hit a pole. Fortunately, my ST-120 was not on either time. Unfortunately, I cannot separate the A/C from the HiFi sharing the same circuit. I want to protect it beyond the diode mod.

Sooo, I have an APC BX1500M 900W uninterruptible power supply on the way which is a good time for me to now ask if there is any reason I should not use this for my HiFi equipment or specifically the VTA amp?

I ask because I don't see them advertised in the audio mags, and there seems to be little conversation. I'm a bit baffled as I'm used to UPS' being used for computer and networking equipment. We used these not just to keep data flowing but more so to allow for a graceful shutdown. Seems like a good option for HiFi gear.

Jimme
    peterh
    peterh

AC Power Issue Empty Re: AC Power Issue

Post by peterh Sat May 16, 2020 2:23 am

Most likely a good investment.
    This will also protect the amp from power glitches as the APC will supply power during power glitches.
    mhardyman

Post by mhardyman Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 am

That particular unit is great with solid state electronics. Not so much for tube based as the sine wave is not a pure sine wave when the battery takes over. This unit may be a good alternative:APC with Pure Sine Wave
    jimmeq
    jimmeq

Post by jimmeq Sun May 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks! I'll get the sine wave model.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 pm