The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires?

knotscott
    knotscott

Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires? Empty Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires?

Post by knotscott Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 am

The title pretty much sums up the question.  After discovering a 30' set of Canare Cable interconnects that I forgot I had, I now have a choice.  I’m currently running the 30’ runs of 12 awg OFC speaker wire and 6’ solid silver IC runs.  It’s sort of a big job to switch things out just to experiment, so before tear anything apart, I was wondering which scenario has the most benefit to sound? FWIW, I think the current setup sounds great, but that doesn’t mean the other scenario couldn’t sound better.

Also, I've read that amplifier input and output impedance can be factors in this decision.  Are there any specs like this for a Dynaco/VTA ST-70 mod?  My preamp is a Lazarus Cascade Basic with (4) 12AX7s....not sure of the output impedance of that either.

Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires? Empty Re: Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires? Empty Re: Long Speaker Wires/Short Interconnects or Long Interconnects/Short Speaker Wires?

Post by peterh Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:51 pm

knotscott wrote:The title pretty much sums up the question.  After discovering a 30' set of Canare Cable interconnects that I forgot I had, I now have a choice.  I’m currently running the 30’ runs of 12 awg OFC speaker wire and 6’ solid silver IC runs.  It’s sort of a big job to switch things out just to experiment, so before tear anything apart, I was wondering which scenario has the most benefit to sound? FWIW, I think the current setup sounds great, but that doesn’t mean the other scenario couldn’t sound better.

Also, I've read that amplifier input and output impedance can be factors in this decision.  Are there any specs like this for a Dynaco/VTA ST-70 mod?  My preamp is a Lazarus Cascade Basic with (4) 12AX7s....not sure of the output impedance of that either.
    If the poweramp can be remote controlled then a proximity to the speakers has some advantages, it's
    easier to stuff away, it might be located at a well ventilated place that does not head other stuff or
    records.
    If it cannot be remote controlled a location close to the preamp is preferred.

Other things to consider is the output impedance of the pre; it has to be able to drive the longer cables.

rjpjnk and knotscott like this post

OneyedK

Post by OneyedK Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 pm

knotscott wrote:I’m currently running the 30’ runs of 12 awg OFC speaker wire and 6’ solid silver IC runs.
    In an ideal world, both IC's and speaker wires should be as short as possible...

However, in the real world, when you drive your speakers with a tube amp, damping factor isn't that great to begin with,
    so "long" speaker wires only make matters marginally worse. There is of course a penalty to pay for the added capacitance and inductance,
    depending on length and type of cable.

If you were to drive your speakers with an amp with very low output impedance (high damping factor),
    even relative short lenghts of speaker wires, would ruin the advantage of that amp.

Between the pré and the power amp however, both the drive capability of the pré (long IC's mean a lot of capacitive loading) and
    the relative high input impedance of the power amp will determine the outcome...

If it sounds great, leave the gear alone, buy more records and enjoy the music! cheers

knotscott likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:37 pm