The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires

jhoak

A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires Empty A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires

Post by jhoak Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm wanting to try making a set of DIY speaker cables using CAT5 cable. The site where I got the instructions from mentions that the finished cables are fairly high capacitance and could cause some "unstable" amps to "oscillate".

The question becomes: Is the VTA/ST-120 stable driving high capacitance loads?

OK... I have another question. Assuming for a moment that the amp IS sensitive to high capacitance loads is there any potential for "damage" to the amp? Frankly if there's even the smallest chance of damaging the amp I won't even try this.

THANX!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires Empty Re: A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Jeff,

The VTA ST-70, ST-120 and M-125 monoblocks are not particularly sensitive to capacitive loads. That said, I can't guarantee that any of the amps will drive "any" load.

If you want to make home made speaker cables, then I suggest using Canare 4S11 cable and then solder on your own spade lugs, banana jacks etc. Canare 4S11 is not that expensive either. (maybe about $1.20 to $1.40 or so per foot) It has four separate conductors inside that you can use separately to bi-wire OR you can combine the RED and PINK for your positive and your BLACK and WHITE wire for the negative. This cable is an 11 gauge wire with a "star quad" winding system that is designed to minimize interaction between the stands of the cable.

There are a number of places that sell the Canare 4S11 online ..

Bob
    jhoak

A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires Empty Re: A question about VTA/ST-120 and speaker wires

Post by jhoak Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Well we'll know soon. The CAT5 speaker wires are now under construction. As I type this I'm in the process of making them.

Since I'm still unemployed I'm not much interested in buying much of anything beyond groceries at the moment. I'm just trying to "entertain" myself with what I have on hand.

I will be installing my "B" tube set just in case something goes horribly wrong.

If you notice a mushroom cloud rising over Central Florida you'll know I got something wrong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 am