The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Big Harry
FGub
dbster
7 posters

ST-70 speaker question

dbster

ST-70 speaker question Empty ST-70 speaker question

Post by dbster Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:41 pm

While browsing another website that has ST-70 info, I spotted a thread about speakers people use with their ST-70. Technically mine has a badge saying "DynaKit Stereo 70" but I don't think that matters. Anyone, one person posted as their answer "anything but a Bozak B-302A". Yet that's what I'm using since it says 15 watt minimum power and of course the ST-70 is rated 35. I'm using it with the 8 ohm tap. Is this a problem setup or was that poster on to something I should know? I don't play the system loud - the Studio Six Digital app on my iPhone runs in the 60 to 70 dbA range. I play LPs, mostly classical, some jazz, some 70s popular like Carly, S&G, PP&M, Beatles
    FGub

ST-70 speaker question Empty Re: ST-70 speaker question

Post by FGub Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:48 am

I wouldn't understand why it would not be a match...besides ohms there is the sensitively of the speakers. But this comes to play if you want top play loud with a relatively low powered amp as the st70 in large rooms...all other matching is a matter of personal taste. So trust your own ears on this matching. I doubt there is a technical reason to call it a mismatch

dbster likes this post

Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:46 am

I've been using an ST70 to drive a pair of Bozak B401's for years and am happy with the way the Bozaks sound. I replaced all of the caps in the crossovers which made an improvement in the sound of the speakers as the original caps were leaky.
    dbster

Post by dbster Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:54 am

I've had the Bozaks for a while, so they are good. I run them with a Kinergetics KBA-75 solid state full class A amp, 75 wpc. I took the ST-70 off the shelf a week ago and tried it with some small Radio Shack speakers and it worked. Then I checked the B-302A specs and it said 15 watt minimum, so why not? I was happy, until I saw that other post, and figured the experts were here since it's a specialized site. Just like I ask my DQ-20 questions on a Dahlquist site.
    Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:12 am

I also have a pair of Bozak B310B Concert Grand speakers that I use in a bi amped system. I drive the woofers with a Yamaha M85 solid state amp through an electronic crossover and use an ST70 to drive the mids and tweeters. The ST70 does a good job even a large room.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:52 pm

Big Harry wrote:I replaced all of the caps in the crossovers which made an improvement in the sound of the speakers as the original caps were leaky.

Harry is correct here .. Some people buy an older "classic" speaker from Bozak, JBL, Acoustic Research, KLH etc. and for some reason one or both speakers just don't sound right ? Most of the time the problem is NOT with the drivers inside (the woofer, tweeter). The capacitors in the crossover is usually the culprit causing uneven sound from your classic/vintage speakers. It is not a difficult task to take out the capacitors, find the values written in the side and put in new capacitors in your crossovers.

Bob

Dale Stevens likes this post

Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:14 pm

I've been using the Dayton Audio caps from Parts Express when I do crossover cap replacements in older speakers. They work well and are not too expensive. Electrolytic crossover capacitors have a life expectancy of somewhere around 20 to 25 years and in the case of the older Bozaks, they used paper and foil capacitors which by now are guaranteed to be electrically leaky and many other speaker manufacturers used them too as that is what was available at the time. Like Bob says, it is not hard to replace the crossover caps and once done, the speakers will sound much better. The choice of caps is up to the speaker owner as there is a substantial price difference between brands of capacitors.
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:45 am

This may be helpful-
    https://youtu.be/x_Vu18K-0Fo?si=5rOjxWLo5rvSu9va
    I have no personal experience with these btw
    Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:31 pm

I owned a pair Of Bozak B302A's years ago. Mine were built around 1971 and still had paper caps in the crossovers. I now have a pair of B401s that use the same drivers but the tweeters are not mounted coaxially to the woofer. The B302 is a good sounding speaker once the crossovers are recapped.
    dbster

Post by dbster Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:48 pm

To get more info on the ST-70 behavior I switched to my ADS L-420s that I bought new in 1982. This is the variation with the metal grille and the push down wire clips (not the binding post like on my older L-810s. I first checked that the tweeter fuse was OK. They had a 20 watt minimum on the specs, but since the ST-70 is rated 35 I'm OK. They sound good with the Dynaco. I'll do some more serious listening this weekend.

corey thompson

Post by corey thompson Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:26 pm

Once i am allowed to send pics on here i will do so. Along with model #s and caps needed
    I diy my own speakers and crossovers .
    7 foot tall cabinets 8 speakers inside including 4 ribbons . Best of the best for what there for.
    call it a 5 way speaker system . If your speakers are sensitive these s70 amps will make your ears bleed if that is really your goal. My goal is sound quality.
    Sound quality i went to all my local stores . My speakers hang with 100 k a pair costing me only 1600 a pair !
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:21 pm

Having run Klipschorns, Fortes, Zu Druid I have downsized to Fritz Carerra BE's [u]with the right room and speaker placement set-up and could not be happier. Can't stress enough the room and placement along with listening location. Taking time with that only brings smiles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm