The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Removing Anodization

Mr C
    Mr C

Removing Anodization Empty Removing Anodization

Post by Mr C Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:39 pm

Is it possible to remove/strip anodization? I know, strange question for this forum. I have a PH14 in black. I'd like to strip the anodization off the face plate so it more closely matches the SP14. One thought I had was a sander and very fine sand paper. But completely striped would be best. Sand blasting or soda blasting? I kind of wonder if some sort of chemical striping would give the best result.
    Hops

Removing Anodization Empty Re: Removing Anodization

Post by Hops Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:57 am

I think buying a new box from Roy and transfering all the internals would be easier, have better looking results, and be ultimately cheaper. True anodization is not a coating, it is a chemical reaction with the base metal.
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:03 am

Sanding will work but it's a pain. Use a block and straight edge. Sand slow and straight and in one direction so the "grain" looks right. Yes, much easier to buy a new box but this IS a DIY forum...

We are sincerely committed to doing things in the least practical manner imaginable. Very Happy
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:05 am

Contact Roy Mottram and see if he can supply or put you on to his  case supplier. I have ordered a replacement front panel for my PH16 from the same company he is/was using and it was reasonably priced. Most manufacturers produce various finishes for their products and natural brushed aluminum is cheaper than black anodized. He was using Par Metal Products Inc, but the black PH14 cases could be from another company.  

http://www.par-metal.com/product-ttp-20series.php

Roy Mottram:

info@tubes4hifi.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 am