The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company Empty Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company

Post by JunkyJan Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi guys

I was digging around on the web for some information and came across this :- https://www.dynaco.com/inside-story.php

...I'm assuming that it must have been discussed on the forum somewhere before, can't find any reference to this article and I have to state that I beg to differ on at least one point: The "original – now long discontinued 5AR4 tube" mentioned... My corner Music and Guitar store can sell my any one of about half a dozen different brands of 5AR4 / GZ34 right now, any day of the week (I'm in Western Canada, referring to Long & McQuade musical instrument shops).

Otherwise I have to say I like the sexy black with white lettering version I saw on Youtube (which led me to do a search for the manufacturer). They definately improved the looks of the ST-70 (beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc etc).

-- Jannie
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company Empty Re: Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company

Post by Bob Latino Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 pm

JunkyJan wrote:Hi guys

I was digging around on the web for some information and came across this :-  https://www.dynaco.com/inside-story.php  

...I'm assuming that it must have been discussed on the forum somewhere before, can't find any reference to this article and I have to state that I beg to differ on at least one point: The "original – now long discontinued 5AR4 tube" mentioned... My corner Music and Guitar store can sell my any one of about half a dozen different brands of 5AR4 / GZ34 right now, any day of the week (I'm in Western Canada, referring to Long & McQuade musical instrument shops).

Otherwise I have to say I like the sexy black with white lettering version I saw on Youtube (which led me to do a search for the manufacturer). They definately improved the looks of the ST-70 (beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc etc).

-- Jannie

Hi Jan,

That Dynaco ST-70X is now a thing of the past. They stopped producing this amp earlier this year. The amp was nice looking and I am sure that it sounded good but the amp was WAY overpriced at $3000. They sold a few at the "discounted price" of $1499 and then they jacked the price back up again to $3000. They sold VERY few at that price. They tried to take the Dynaco trade name "upscale". Dynaco, since 1955, has been a high value item not an upscale brand name. Read about this amp at the forum thread below that I started in 2015.

The Dynaco ST-70X story thread

Bob

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company Empty Re: Interesting commercial ST-70 from the 'original' Dyneco company

Post by JunkyJan Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:14 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    Hi Jan,

That Dynaco ST-70X is now a thing of the past. They stopped producing this amp earlier this year. The amp was nice looking and I am sure that it sounded good but the amp was WAY overpriced at $3000. They sold a few at the "discounted price" of $1499 and then they jacked the price back up again to $3000. They sold VERY few at that price. They tried to take the Dynaco trade name "upscale". Dynaco, since 1955, has been a high value item not an upscale brand name. Read about this amp at the forum thread below that I started in 2015.

The Dynaco ST-70X story thread

Bob

Hi Bob

Long time no speak! Glad to see you're doing well in this Crazy Era of Covid (I would have called it the "Silly Time of Covid" except I'm old enough to have had parents that lived through the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920 in South Africa, I very well recall the horror stories of neighbouring farms completely wiped out etc).

Thank you very much for the information - I just so happen to be STILL very happy with my ST-70 and Mark IIIs and really have zero interest in other amps, even the very costly ones but exploring is always fun (the Latino amps are somewhat of a Giant Killer in my humble opinion - few years ago I listened to a $100K+ system demo, all Linn hardware + B&W speakers, when I left I was thinking Heck I would love to have those speakers - the $75K source and amplification left me stone cold).

EDIT:
    I read through that thread on the "other" Dynaco company.... Somewhat amusing, not quite the Weekly World News though. I have wondered many times if some of these push-pull pentode amps from China are not simply ST-70 amps under the hood, with maybe bias control circuitry etc added.

And on a side note.... There is this YouTube thread where a set of Mark III amps are being restored, several times the restorer comments that the original OPTs are superior to the reproduction versions (Yes, he was specifically referencing Tubes4HiFi):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gHMPuINCb4

All my best wishes
    Sincerely
    Jan in BC, Canada

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm