The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing

fobya71

Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing Empty Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing

Post by fobya71 Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:48 am

Hallo there,

Just entered the forum.

I bought time ago some parts to build up a couple of Dynaco MKIII.

I miss the chassiss.
    I'm guessing if anybody has the drawing with the dimension for a Dynaco MKIII chassis including all holes. I searched it in google but seems impossible to find it out.

I know that is possible to find them from Dynaparts or other companies, but I'm in Italy and the shipment costs are more than the value of the parts... so, considering that I have a friend which can be able to build them for me... looking for the dimensions and then maybe I will do some little changes.

Please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, Dynaco friends Wink
    WLT
    WLT

Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing Empty Re: Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing

Post by WLT Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:43 pm

I have never seen any original engineering documents from Dynaco that show metal fabrication information. I doubt any exists at this time. If there is some I would like to see more than just the chassis fabrication details. Transfomer design and circuit design criteria, etc etc.

Back to your request. I can take one of my amps and measure it for you. I have a Stromberg Carlson mono amp apart on the bench and will need to finish that project first. Are you in  a hurry or can this wait till later this next week?

Also need to know how detailed the measurements need to be. Like metal folding info as well as tolerance between cover and chassis. The stock bottom and top covers fit just right with one fitting into the other. if you are going to build the chassis differently than Dynaco did you may have to build custom bottom and top covers to fit. For that you only need the overall main chassis dimensions. then design and build your own top and bottom covers.

If you could give a little more info on your plan it would help.
    fobya71

Post by fobya71 Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Hallo,
    Thanks for answering.

It would be nice to have some mesurement to create the original box in some way, expecially the holes.

Strange idea: if someone has an empty chassis, maybe it is possible to put each side over a copy machine and scan it? For sure it will be not a very nice draw but it should be a 1:1 photo and enough to evaluate proportions
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:11 pm

I do not have a blank main chassis to scan. Nice idea though. I will look at what it would take to strip the one parts amp to scan it. It also has a number of extra holes from the previous owners. I could try to cover them with paper so the holes do not scan. Let me work on that one. Still would not happen till next week at the earliest. Hopefully someone else has a blank chassis and can scan it before then.

fobya71 likes this post

corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:12 pm

If you have the parts then all you have to do is measure them and draw your own template.

There's also free software from Front Panel Express which can help you create an even more precise template and give you the chance to build your own design.

I created top panels for my recent builds this way.  I've thought about making my own Mk3 amps this way but haven't gotten there yet.  Currently working on an ST70 design.
    Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing 50160337361_3f938ecb49_cCustom ST35 w/EFB v5

Dynaco MKIII - chassis drawing 50126812928_2c864d6f3c_cCustom Power Strip
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:28 am

fobya71 - I spent some time to demo a MK III chassis. I scanned the chassis and have some pretty good results. I will send them to you via the instant messenger system here. No need to fill up this post with a bunch of photos. Refer to the photo labels and the comments below.

035 is as flat as I can get the chassis on the scanner. Hole dimensions between each other are probably the best of the scans. The top edge is the front of the chassis. The chassis does not fit on the scanner so both left and right edges are cut off.

036 I moved the chassis over so the left edge (dark strip) can be used as a reference for left/right hole dimensions.

038 I moved the chassis over so the right edge can be used as a reference for left/right hole dimensions. It also seems to have the best top to bottom view for dimensions in that direction.

041 one side view. Opposite side should be the same. Difficult to hold in this position and get a good scan. It does show the overall width and relative hole placement pretty well.

042 Back edge view. Difficult to hold in this position and get a good scan. It does show the overall width and relative markings, terminal strip and hole placements pretty well.

Let me know if this is enough and helps you? How about the bottom cover and the top cover info?

WLT

fobya71 likes this post

fobya71

Post by fobya71 Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:23 am

Thank you WLT!!!
    They are helpful!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 pm