The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

VTA M7 preamp?!

rustybutt
    rustybutt

VTA M7 preamp?! Empty VTA M7 preamp?!

Post by rustybutt Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:10 pm

VTA is now selling a Chinese Marantz 7, line level preamp knock-off.   Has anyone seen or heard one of these?  Any idea how they compare with any of the other VTA preamps?
    bobgroger

VTA M7 preamp?! Empty Re: VTA M7 preamp?!

Post by bobgroger Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:25 am

It is actually a clone of the line stage from a Conrad Johnson PV5. I am building one right now from AliExpress parts. No idea how it sounds but the circuit is the same with minor value differences. PRT05A is the Chi-Fi model.
    rustybutt
    rustybutt

Post by rustybutt Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:36 am

The VTA page says that it's the Marantz 7 circuit. I've seen Chinese preamps advertised on EBay making that claim. Could it be that CJ just copied the same circuit and is what you're building? I'd imagine that the patent on the circuit would have long expired.
    bobgroger

Post by bobgroger Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:44 pm

My mistake. That seems to be a new offering. I was referring to the SP10 Preamp.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:20 pm

hey guys, ask the guy who is selling them! (that's me)
    So the SP10 is a CJ knock-off with four tubes. Black faceplate and remote.
    The M7 is a Marantz 7 knock-off with three tubes (line stage only). Silver faceplate and remote

www.tubes4hifi.com/pre11.htm
    rustybutt
    rustybutt

Post by rustybutt Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:35 am

tubes4hifi wrote:hey guys, ask the guy who is selling them!  (that's me)
    So the SP10 is a CJ knock-off with four tubes.  Black faceplate and remote.
    The M7 is a Marantz 7 knock-off with three tubes (line stage only).  Silver faceplate and remote

www.tubes4hifi.com/pre11.htm

So back to my original question. What do you like about the M7, and for that matter, the SP10 and how do they stack up against the SP14?

I can't imaging y'all selling a Chinese product without first thoroughly checking it out and having it be of a quality that you're willing to have associated with your name.

And while we're at it, does that same vendor offer a Marantz 7 knockoff phono preamp?

Is the original Marantz 7 a highly sought after item only for prestige? Or is it really a preamp worthy of the enormous price tag it commands?

FYI, I have an SP-13 I'm quite happy with.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi Rusty,
    yes, these were both purchased for evaluation and test by myself, and I was surprised at the high quality of them, and very decent sound quality.
    Both are remote controlled and both have dual mono power supplies. They come with cheap chinese tubes, but otherwise very well made with decent parts.
    Definitely a value for the $$ spent, which is why I'm offering them to people who don't have the SP12 or SP14 in their budget.
    Unless you've got super ears and super speakers (which I know YOU do) for the average person they wouldn't hear much difference between these and say the SP12.
    The average person with average speakers rarely buys an SP14, but I'm sure even those are blown away by how good it sounds.
    Your SP13 of course (of which only about six were ever made) is identical to an SP14 except for the tubes used.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 pm