The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

My rebuilt ST-70s

ViperZ
    ViperZ

My rebuilt ST-70s Empty My rebuilt ST-70s

Post by ViperZ Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:42 pm

My rebuilt ST70s.

My rebuilt ST-70s 4847324951_20ce7043a7_z

My rebuilt ST-70s 4847325601_a3bea81a2b_z

My rebuilt ST-70s 4847947748_a7ddf150a8_z

My rebuilt ST-70s 4847346017_6101330580_z
    sushimaster

My rebuilt ST-70s Empty Re: My rebuilt ST-70s

Post by sushimaster Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 am

Very nice job!

Here's the evolution of mine...

My rebuilt ST-70s Img0231y
    started out with a pretty clean, stock example.
    changed out the selenium rectifier, bias caps under the chassis, and installed SDS labs rca jack.

My rebuilt ST-70s St70b

My rebuilt ST-70s St70
    Switched to SED winged C EL34s. Installed new can cap and changed out the coupling caps to Solens.

My rebuilt ST-70s 001hw1

My rebuilt ST-70s Pics004w

Finally, replaced all resistors on the original driver board, and switched to Philips JAN 6U8A via sockets adapters.

My rebuilt ST-70s Pics005d

Sounds very clean. My only regret was selling those original RCA fat bottles on eBay. They were very warm and meaty in the bass.

- Sushimaster
    ViperZ
    ViperZ

Post by ViperZ Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 am

sushimaster wrote:Very nice job!

Here's the evolution of mine...

started out with a pretty clean, stock example.
    changed out the selenium rectifier, bias caps under the chassis, and installed SDS labs rca jack.

Switched to SED winged C EL34s. Installed new can cap and changed out the coupling caps to Solens.

Finally, replaced all resistors on the original driver board, and switched to Philips JAN 6U8A via sockets adapters.

Sounds very clean. My only regret was selling those original RCA fat bottles on eBay. They were very warm and meaty in the bass.

- Sushimaster

Nice job, Sushimaster. Have you thought about swapping the tubes and caps? Playing with those 6U8A will make a huge difference. I also find Solen caps a bit too harsh too. I'd suggest Mundorf Supreme caps instead. I love them in my rebuilt Jolida JD801A.
    sushimaster

Post by sushimaster Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:37 pm

ViperZ, I have tried Svetlana from New Sensor...didn't like them much.
    I do very much like these SED winged C's. They sound very clear, clean.
    I might try the new Mullards from New Sensor down the road. I haven't thought of Mundorf Supreme, but I might try new coupling caps in my next ST70 restoration.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

- Sushimaster
    sushimaster

Post by sushimaster Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm

BTW, Has anyone here tried the Electro Harmonix 6CA7 tubes in a ST70? If so what are your impressions of them?
    Thanks.

- Sushimaster
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:02 pm

sushimaster wrote:BTW, Has anyone here tried the Electro Harmonix 6CA7 tubes in a ST70? If so what are your impressions of them?
    Thanks.

- Sushimaster
    I have used EH 6CA7's on and off for over a year, I purchased a matched quad from The Tube Store dot com. These tubes sound deeper than El-34's and less warm. I would describe them as being more accurate than El-34's. They sound closer to 6L6 tube types as they are a beam tetrode rather than a true pentode like the EL-34. After about 300 hours I had one of the quad begin to draw much more current than it should have, so I bought another to replace it and they have been fine since then with about 1000 hours on them, give or take. They do look quite nice and have more visual presence than El-34's if you care about that sort of thing. I would recommend them if you want to try a tube that will sound significantly different in the ST70. Just be careful who you buy them from. Doug's Tubes does a full burn in of all their tubes and I have been pleased with everything I've purchased from them. I should also note that early models of this tube are known to have grid alignment issues, so look for ones that were made in the last 2 years.
    sushimaster

Post by sushimaster Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks for the review kevco. I think I will give them a try based on your recommendation.

- Sushimaster
    lostclockmaker

My rebuilt ST-70s Empty MK111 rebuild

Post by lostclockmaker Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Hello all you folks.
    Glad to find so many fans of Dynaco. Am just now contemplating rebuilding a pair of very neglected MK 111's and wish to know how to test the transformers. Any help? These amps were sitting in a garbage bin, and ready to go out the door, so I thought I better pick 'em up. Too bad the Mullards' were spent!

thanks,
    lostclockmaker

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am