The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet.

martin

PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet. Empty PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet.

Post by martin Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:51 am

Even with the volume turned all the way down, my PAS3 still passes enough signal to the power amp so as to be audible. This happens when using both the "spare" input as well as the phono input.

I tried it with another, different power amp & the issue remains the same.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong here?

Tom Pickett likes this post

Tom Pickett
    Tom Pickett

PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet. Empty Re: PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet.

Post by Tom Pickett Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:30 am

martin wrote:Even with the volume turned all the way down, my PAS3 still passes enough signal to the power amp so as to be audible. This happens when using both the "spare" input as well as the phono input.

This is a common problem Martin.....

Last edited by Tom Pickett on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet. Empty Re: PAS3 Problem: Cannot reduce volume level to be quiet.

Post by peterh Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 am

martin wrote:Even with the volume turned all the way down, my PAS3 still passes enough signal to the power amp so as to be audible. This happens when using both the "spare" input as well as the phono input.

Replace the volume pot.

There is alps-copies on ebay , 250k with loudness for a small amount of money.
    One example is here :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164352365084?hash=item26442a121c:g:gjIAAOSwsDZcS8A7

Tom Pickett likes this post

Tom Pickett
    Tom Pickett

Post by Tom Pickett Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 am

peterh wrote:

Replace the volume pot.

There is alps-copies on ebay , 250k with loudness for a small amount of money.
    One example is here :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164352365084?hash=item26442a121c:g:gjIAAOSwsDZcS8A7

That's a nice price peterh. I found this one on ebay but it's $90.00. That's crazy !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164495522004?hash=item264cb278d4:g:n6cAAOSwbURcauns
    martin

Post by martin Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:37 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the volume control being the culprit.

As an experiment, I put a drop of DeOxit contact lube into both pots and to my amazement, the issue disappeared.

Does this make sense to anybody?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:21 pm

martin wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the volume control being the culprit.  

As an experiment, I put a drop of DeOxit contact lube into both pots and to my amazement, the issue disappeared.

Yes. But the effect may go away.
    While it's still in effect, buy a replacement and be prepared to change it.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sun May 02, 2021 3:18 am

martin wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the volume control being the culprit.  

Probably dirt or corrosion on the resistive track at the ground end was cleaned off by the DeOxit.  There was probably enough there to hold the wiper of the control above ground, instead of being AT ground when turned all the way down.

You could do a lot better than the original Dynaco control, even if it is working properly. ALPS is generally good; but I prefer stepped controls using precision surface mount resistors. Either way, you'll eliminate the annoying tendency of aging Dynaco controls to shift channel balance as the control is rotated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:27 pm