The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
panaseef
hickster
egiles
chas2unes
Sal
j4570
GP49
Bob Latino
12 posters

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... Empty The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ...

Post by Bob Latino Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am

In the mid 1990's Dynaco (Panor) came out with a combination solid state tuner/preamp - the Dynaco PAT-6. Not too many were sold and today very few of these PAT-6's are ever seen in circulation. It had a digital tuner with 8 presets. The preamp had 5 inputs. One input was a magnetic phono and another was a tape loop. Besides volume it also had bass, treble and balance controls. To me, it looks a bit like the Adcom tuners of the 1990's. Two photos below that were sent to me by the owner. The photos below are of fair quality but it gives you an idea of what the PAT-6 looked like.

Bob

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... PAT-6_1

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... PAT-6_2
    GP49

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... Empty Re: The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ...

Post by GP49 Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:31 am

Maybe it's just me being an old curmudgeon but I regard these Panor products as Dynaco in name only. They lack the simple nature of the original Dynaco designs, distilled to their essentials as required for performance. Bob said it well by comparing the Panors to the contemporary Adcoms. They're remarkably like other mid-priced audio products of their time and there was little to set them aside from their competition. Perhaps that is why as a whole, they were a failure in the marketplace.
    j4570

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... Empty Re: The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ...

Post by j4570 Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:15 pm

It sure does look like an ADCOM. I have been pleased with my ADCOM equipment. It was entry level high end as I like to put it. Better than what you could get at mass marketers like Circuit City/Best Buy, only sold at retail stereo stores. Probably better than 95% of people have in their house. So it might have been a decent product at it's price point.

Though it certainly isn't an Original Dynaco product.

Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Damn... another Dynaco (Panor) I have be on the look out for... :-)

Besides, the tube CD player, PAS-4 preamp, ST-70 II and the PAT-6, what else did Panor come out with?

Sal
    Bigroman

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... Empty Many great amps IMO

Post by Bigroman Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a pair of Dynaco 400 Series II power amps and they are amazing, especially for the price point they sell at used. Also be on the look out for two ultra rare Dynaco amps the ST-80 and ST-160. These are Dynaco / Pancor tube amps, not the Dynaco solid state. These things look awesome, I would love to hear them.
    chas2unes

Post by chas2unes Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:26 pm

I have 2 PAT-6 preamp/tuners and an ST-200 power amp I'll post pictures later
    egiles

Post by egiles Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I won one of these that was listed on ebay last night and am anxious to try it out with my ST70. I had been looking for a well built, but low cost quality preamplifier with remote control and this one seemed to fit the bill. However, this one doesn't include the remote so I will have to find out what the codes are and program them into some type of universal remote. chas2unes, would you happen to have the remote controls for your PAT-6's?
    hickster

Post by hickster Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:42 pm

I have a PAT-6 and an ST 200 amp which was purchased at a clearance price of 1100${canadian} about 12 years ago while I may have paid a little more than I should have I have yet to hear anything as clean for twice the price. This combo has the legendary quiet power Dynaco is famous for pausing a CD and putting full power to the speakers is silent, when playing acoustic music harmonic notes ring as clean as any amp I have heard. When paired with my 33 year old BIC Venturi's the 70s blues rock sound hits like an acid flash back, currently I am using a pair of KEF IQ9s to reduce space and this is an amazing mid volume pairing. When I bought this amp preamp combo I had never heard of Dynaco as they never made much impact in Canada west, while they may not be part of the Dynaco purist line it seems to me that Panor was trying to maintain the business model of high end and reasonable price. I have yet to hear a system under 5,000 that would encourage me upgrade, if this combo can be found still for even 800$ its a steal.
    panaseef

The very rare Dynaco PAT-6 tuner/preamp - photos ... Empty There's on on ebay now (12/1/2012)

Post by panaseef Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 am

.. $400 or best offer - looks to be in excellent shape. Anyone have a feeling what these are worth? No offers on it yet, so obviously no one looking at ebay is impressed with th easking price.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

looks near identical to an Adcom preamp/tuner combo that is now on ebay for a full price of $69 buy-it-now, so no point in spending $400 unless you consider a solid-state Panor to be a collector item (I think not!)
    StereoGaryo
    StereoGaryo

Post by StereoGaryo Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm

However, the Adcom preamp/tuners did not support phono inputs.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 pm

StereoGaryo wrote:However, the Adcom preamp/tuners did not support phono inputs.

That's news to me and to my Adcom GTP-500, a preamp-tuner which is the phono and FM front end of my digital audio mastering computer setup.
    StereoGaryo
    StereoGaryo

Post by StereoGaryo Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 pm

GP49 wrote:
    StereoGaryo wrote:However, the Adcom preamp/tuners did not support phono inputs.

That's news to me and to my Adcom GTP-500, a preamp-tuner which is the phono and FM front end of my digital audio mastering computer setup.

Oops! You are correct. I think it was the GTP-350 and 450 that lacked phono. Used to sell them back in the day.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 pm

By then, there was little more in the product that was "Dynaco" except the name. The magic was gone.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Check out the shipping on that bad boy, it's in Switzerland so likely 240 volts as well. I bought a Bedini preamp out of Germany a few years ago (beautiful unit with dual voltage) but it took months to get here. They use DHL over there and all you get tracking that outfit is when the unit is dropped off, and then about 15 minutes' notice to be home for delivery signature.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 am