The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright.

johprice

ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright. Empty ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright.

Post by johprice Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Hello all. I’m new to the Dynaco Forum. Glad there is a place to consult with other owners. A couple of years ago, I purchased an ST-70 Series 3 amplifier. I have Klipschorn speakers, which are known to be on the bright side. I feel that my amplifier is too harsh with highs that are overbearing. Has anyone tried any other tubes that might tame this brassy sound and give a warmer tone over the factory installed JJs?
    peterh
    peterh

ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright. Empty Re: ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright.

Post by peterh Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm

johprice wrote:Hello all. I’m new to the Dynaco Forum. Glad there is a place to consult with other owners. A couple of years ago, I purchased an ST-70 Series 3 amplifier. I have Klipschorn speakers, which are known to be on the bright side. I feel that my amplifier is too harsh with highs that are overbearing. Has anyone tried any other tubes that might tame this brassy sound and give a warmer tone over the factory installed JJs?
    Why don't you turn down your treble control ?
    corndog71
    corndog71

ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright. Empty Re: ST-70 Series 3 Tube Selection. Too Bright.

Post by corndog71 Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:35 pm

Another option would be to replace the caps on the tweeter circuit of the crossovers. The crossover in any factory made speaker is often built with very cheap parts. Replacing the caps with good film capacitors can make a big difference in the sound of the speaker. I recommend Clarity Caps.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm

I doubt that his Klipschorns were built with cheap caps. They're fairly expensive speakers.

The first thing I would do is try another pair of speakers if possible. I recently bought a new pair of Klipsch Forte IVs and ended up selling them specifically because of the harshness of the high end.

I doubt if you're going to get any kind of drastic sound quality change by swapping in new power tubes.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:46 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:I doubt that his Klipschorns were built with cheap caps. They're fairly expensive speakers.

The first thing I would do is try another pair of speakers if possible. I recently bought a new pair of Klipsch Forte IVs and ended up selling them specifically because of the harshness of the high end.

I doubt if you're going to get any kind of drastic sound quality change by swapping in new power tubes.

The cost of the speakers makes no difference on crossover parts. The vast majority of companies (Including Klipsch) put the cheapest parts in there because most people are ignorant of these things and the company wants to hit a price point. Only a handful of companies bother with better parts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:17 pm