The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Another version of the amplifier

Juris

Another version of the amplifier Empty Another version of the amplifier

Post by Juris Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:24 am

Hi,

The idea of building a tube amplifier did not stop at my first completed project, which allowed me to understand concepts of amplifier work and design. At the same time, I wanted to build an amplifier that I would like to own. When searching for schematics on the Internet and viewing images of amplifiers, the choice fell on the Dynaco ST-70, about which there is extensive information on the web. Given its popularity and availability, I decided to reproduce this amplifier in its entirety.
    The first step in making an amplifier was to get parts. As this amplifier is still popular on eBay, I decided to first look there and see if I can buy a damaged ST 70 and then restore it. However, due to the popularity of this amplifier, I could not win it at auctions because the prices are very high. I decided it would be easier to buy all the parts separately and put them all together.
    I was able to buy brand new transformers (two output transformers, one power transformer). The choice of output transformers fell on the Polish manufacturer INDEL, which offers transformers at an affordable price. I purchased the power transformer from AliExpress, agreeing that the seller will make the transformer with the required winding configuration.
    On eBay, I found a seller in Serbia who sold me a board designed for the 6U8A preamp tubes (7199 replacement). As for the choice of chassis, it had to be designed in the Fusion 360 software itself, followed by laser cutting and folding of polished stainless steel 1.5 mm thick (gauge 16) by a local company. The choice of choke fell on Hammond's products.
    Minor modifications have been made to the circuit; the amplifier could already be equipped with a volume control by inserting a 500k ALPS potentiometer in the circuit. It was also decided to do without the voltage takeoff sockets.
    In addition, the amplifier is equipped with 6E1P "magic eye" tubes that visualize the signal level, although originally there were PCB boards for the tone regulator circuit, which did not fit due to their complexity and location. A separate preamplifier with a tone control and a cathode follower is currently being built, but that's a different story.
    In the end, I am very happy with my project. Thanks to all the forum members, maintainers and a special thank you to Bob Latino.
    Any reasonable criticism is recommended Smile

I will try to post a picture of the project in the forum
    Another version of the amplifier ST-70-2

Donspokane, retroaudiopro76 and simpleton like this post

peterh
    peterh

Another version of the amplifier Empty Re: Another version of the amplifier

Post by peterh Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:38 am

Nice looking !
    Are you planning to make a cover in a non-magnetic material ? If so i would like one.
    Also, do you have contact information for the power transformer maker ? Getting them
    from US is very expensive, a eastern source might be much more attractive. There is also
    some transformers that seems unavailable ( PA085 , the 230Volt for MkIV comes to my mind).
    Juris

Post by Juris Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:00 am

I don't plan to make a cover yet. The manufacturer of transformers is the Polish company Indel. http://indel.pl. In my case a transformer TGL 40/001 was used. It is for these reasons that I am using a transformer from this manufacturer, and looking at transformer prices today, they have risen. I bought these transformers at the end of 2020 from a local electronics retailer, which cost me 110 EUR (125 USD) for both.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:12 am

Juris wrote:I don't plan to make a cover yet. The manufacturer of transformers is the Polish company Indel. http://indel.pl. In my case a transformer TGL 40/001 was used. It is for these reasons that I am using a transformer from this manufacturer, and looking at transformer prices today, they have risen. I bought these transformers at the end of 2020 from a local electronics retailer, which cost me 110 EUR (125 USD) for both.
    It was the mains transformer that interested me ...
    Juris

Post by Juris Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:46 am

The power supply was made in China according to my requirements. The cost of production was 56 USD, cheaper than shipping. I can't complain about the quality of the performance Another version of the amplifier Mains-transformer
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:25 am

Juris wrote:The power supply was made in China according to my requirements. The cost of production was 56 USD, cheaper than shipping. I can't complain about the quality of the performance Another version of the amplifier Mains-transformer
    Do you have a link or email adress ?
    Juris

Post by Juris Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:23 am

peterh wrote:
    Juris wrote:The power supply was made in China according to my requirements. The cost of production was 56 USD, cheaper than shipping. I can't complain about the quality of the performance Another version of the amplifier Mains-transformer
    Do you have a link or email adress ?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5702020?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.pcShopHead_925922136.0
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:36 am

Whatever i find at aliexpress there is shipping cost 85-95 USD, more then the transformer cost. This
    makes these transformers less attractive then finding a local maker.
    simpleton
    simpleton

Post by simpleton Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:24 pm

I'd love to know more about the magic eye tube circuit. Not sure I'd do it myself, but I'd like to know how you tied it in.

stsk likes this post

Juris

Post by Juris Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:55 am

For this purpose I make two 60x60 mm PCB boards with soldered tube sockets
    retroaudiopro76
    retroaudiopro76

Post by retroaudiopro76 Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:28 pm

This is very sharp. Love to see a pic of the underside, wired up.

Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:53 pm

Also interested in the Magic Eye tubes.......And how they are being implemented.
    Juris

Post by Juris Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:44 am

I posted an image that was created somewhere at the design stage. As for 6E1P, simple circuit diagrams can be found on the Internet. I will write a reference to an example of the schematics below.
    Another version of the amplifier Wiring
    http://www.soundgaragetales.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/em80_schematic.gif

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 am