The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart?

harryc

PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart? Empty PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart?

Post by harryc Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Hi, I've got a PH16 phono preamp, that was assembled by a local technician who recently had a stroke (he is doing ok, but not able to get back in the shop). I have been using a MM cart, and have just purchased a new turntable with an MC cart, and believe the PH16 can support this. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case? I don't have the manual any longer and am not sure how to make the adjustments. Any help would be most appreciated. In case it's helpful, the cart info is below. Thanks so much! - Harry

Rega Ania PRO
    LOAD SETTINGS FOR ADJUSTABLE MC STAGES
    Impedance
    100 Ω
    Capacitance
    1000 pF
    mijohn

PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart? Empty Re: PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart?

Post by mijohn Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:54 am

A PH16 will probably not have enough gain for the Rega Ania PRO which has an output of only 0.35mV, you may need a step up transformer.
    However, 0.35mV is at the upper end of the low output MC range so give it a try.

According to the VTA website the PH16 has a gain of 44db and is suitable for MM and medium to high gain MC carts.

harryc likes this post

Dale Stevens

PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart? Empty Re: PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart?

Post by Dale Stevens Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:05 pm

Harry, I believe our member Dave_in-VA has this arrangement. Maybe he will chime in or you can send him a pm. Dale

harryc likes this post

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Hi Dale,
    I have a PH 15 which I think is a PH 16 without the MC dip switches. So I use a MM cart.
    harryc

PH16 Phono Preamp Moving Coil Cart? Empty Update

Post by harryc Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:18 pm

Thanks for the help guys!  I heard back from Roy, and he believed a SUT was needed.  He recommends the Premium MC Phono Step-Up Kit from K & K Audio.

I have contacted them and should be able to get it assembled and delivered for $650.  The Rothwell MCL seems comparable to this, but $100 more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 pm