The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120

sandeep dutta

6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120 Empty 6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120

Post by sandeep dutta Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Hello All,

I built my ST-120 about 5 years ago, it has been running beautifully for all these year.
    Yesterday, I played a Vinyl and one of the left channel 6500WE started glowing bright red.
    I switched off the AMP immediately , waited for it to cool down, then switched it on again
    and everything seems to be fine. The overheated 6500WE has turned a little black but seems
    to function perfectly, no sound distortion the quality of sound just as good as ever.

Any ideas ? I am afraid this will happen again.

Best Regards
    Sandeep
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120 Empty Re: 6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120

Post by Tubes4ever Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:28 pm

sandeep dutta wrote:Hello All,

I built my ST-120 about 5 years ago, it has been running beautifully for all these year.
    Yesterday, I played a Vinyl and one of the left channel 6500WE started glowing bright red.
    I switched off the AMP immediately , waited for it to cool down, then switched it on again
    and everything seems to be fine. The overheated 6500WE has turned a little black but seems
    to function perfectly, no sound distortion the quality of sound just as good as ever.

Best Regards
    Sandeep

I suggest that you swap the tube that red plated with the other one on the left side. Verify bias levels after the swap.
    If it happens again to the same tube then you know that tube is defective and can't be trusted. Otherwise it is a socket issue.
    Let us know if it happens again.
    peterh
    peterh

6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120 Empty Re: 6550WE Turned bright red on my ST-120

Post by peterh Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:23 am

sandeep dutta wrote:Hello All,

Best Regards
    Sandeep
    There is a high risk that this tube will redplate again, it should be replaced.

BTW, 6550 needs a grid resistor of at most 50k to be safe from redplating.
    KT88 is a better option for this amp.

yel17 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:41 pm