The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
New2Tubez
Tom
corndog71
Gabriel
8 posters

Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier.

Gabriel

Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier. Empty Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier.

Post by Gabriel Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi

I built the STA 120 amplifier and currently use the sk55 Yamaha? Speakers.
    I am extremely happy with the sound and would like to upgrade my speakers.
    Any recommendations?

Thank you
    corndog71
    corndog71

Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier. Empty Re: Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier.

Post by corndog71 Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:18 pm

What do you mean by “mid priced”?

How big is your room?

Can you pull the speakers away from the wall?

Do you want bookshelf or towers?

Gabriel

Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier. Empty Re: Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier.

Post by Gabriel Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:26 am

Hi

I prefer bookshelf speakers for the living room.
    Budget under $1000.
    I’m interested in hearing other peoples experiences.
    Thanks
    Tom

Post by Tom Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:04 pm

I'm still enjoying my Totem Acoustic. I see they have a newer model bookshelf, Skylight, close to your price range at $1100. Haven't heard them. I have the Forest tower that are amped with m-125s stepped down to 60W like the st-120. Not an efficient speaker but plenty of volume for my needs and the sound is pretty outstanding. Have fun looking, so hard to find a place to listen first. Smile
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:20 pm

A bit bigger than bookshelf but maybe some pre-owned Klipsch Heresys?  
    Very efficient and good bang for the buck IF that's a consideration.

Personally, I have Klipsch RB5's and Chorus 2's- so maybe a little bit fanboy...

Last edited by New2Tubez on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
    BeerRover

Post by BeerRover Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:17 pm

I enjoy my KEF R300 speakers very much for voice and acoustic music reproduction.
    They are out of production now but used is right where you want to be.
    Hops

Post by Hops Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:38 pm

I use NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers with a non-NHT subwoofer in a fairly small office. I bought the NHTs from Amazon to fill in the time until I got my Ensemble speakers surrounds replaced. The NHTs are cheap, and good enough that I am procrastinating on getting the surrounds replaced on my Ensembles or replacing the NHTs with something different. The NHTs are not what I want, but they sound good enough that I would rather listen to music through them rather than search for a replacement or pack up my Ensembles for shipping.
    ELBill34

Post by ELBill34 Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am

Wharfedale makes some great bookshelf speakers for under 1000
    and Elac has some great bang for the buck speakers.

Haven't owned Elacs but have been impressed with several systems I've heard at Axpona over the years.

I do have a small pair of Wharfedale speakers that worked well by themselves in a smaller living room but I've added a small (10")
    sub that I built in the room that they are in now which is much bigger.
    Mine are older, before the Diamond series came out.
    The current Denton model would just be within your budget and a little bigger than what I have to fill that bottom end better.
    Music Direct has some discounted open box deals right now on the Dentons.

Whatever you buy make sure that you break them in well before you decide if you like them or not. Most speakers sound better after 50-100 hours minimum
    VTHokie83

Recommend mid priced speakers for the 120 amplifier. Empty Speakers I tried with VTA ST-120

Post by VTHokie83 Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:21 am

I tried several $1,000 to $1,200, but only really liked the Elac UBR 62? and the Buchardt Audio S300 MkII SE speakers......both about $1,200 per pair, and both punch much higher than their price point. I tested them all with my  VTA ST-120 (with stepped atenuator and cap upgrades), using KT-120 power tubes.

For me personally, I chose to bump my price range up to $1,500 to $2,000 range. I finally settled on the Buchardt Audio S400 MkIIs ($2,000 a pair) over the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX for about $1,600 per pair. I know you can audition the Ascend and Buchardt speakers (both sold direct to consumers) in your home for 30 days, the Elacs may depend on where you buy them as they are sold through dealers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 am