The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA 120 hum then high voltage at one pin

Beachlandguy

VTA 120 hum then high voltage at one pin Empty VTA 120 hum then high voltage at one pin

Post by Beachlandguy Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:35 pm

So the other night listening to music on my wonderful VTA 120. I hear a couple of loud crackles and then a loud buzz, independent of the volume control and the whole preamp. I unplugged. I had a spare set of Electro harmonix Power tubes and I got a new rectifier.
    I turned down all the pots. I installed everything and started to turn up the voltage. The lower left port pegged my meter immediately. Everything else was dead on. I shut it off. I get no resistance on the lower left pin.

Help help
    peterh
    peterh

VTA 120 hum then high voltage at one pin Empty Re: VTA 120 hum then high voltage at one pin

Post by peterh Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:26 pm

Beachlandguy wrote:So the other night listening to music on my wonderful VTA 120. I hear a couple of loud crackles and then a loud buzz, independent of the volume control and the whole preamp. I unplugged. I had a spare set of Electro harmonix Power tubes and I got a new rectifier.
    I turned down all the pots. I installed everything and started to turn up the voltage. The lower left port pegged my meter immediately. Everything else was dead on. I shut it off. I get no resistance on the lower left pin.

Help help
    Check the cathode resistor , if a tube shorts it may blow the resistor.
    Pin 8 of the output tube is tigether with the bias test outlet connected to one
    end of the resistor, the other end is ground. If no connection here the resistor is blown.

Beachlandguy likes this post

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 am