The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

ST-70 Power Transformer

moodyj2000

ST-70 Power Transformer Empty ST-70 Power Transformer

Post by moodyj2000 Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:03 pm

I am still dealing with parts and pieces from the lot of Dynaco I purchased.  The next piece is the power transformer.  The bottom cover has holes on the bottom and not on the side like I have seen in most PA060 transformers.  Anybody familiar with this?  I don't have a clear picture of the bottom but will take some more this evening.

I am thinking I need to verify this transformers functions.  Wire colors are fadded so its hard to determine which wire is what.  I've seen the spec's on another post on this site.

ST-70 Power Transformer 2023-011
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

ST-70 Power Transformer Empty Re: ST-70 Power Transformer

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 pm

moodyj2000 wrote:I am still dealing with parts and pieces from the lot of Dynaco I purchased.  The next piece is the power transformer.  The bottom cover has holes on the bottom and not on the side like I have seen in most PA060 transformers.  Anybody familiar with this?  I don't have a clear picture of the bottom but will take some more this evening.

I am thinking I need to verify this transformers functions.  Wire colors are fadded so its hard to determine which wire is what.  I've seen the spec's on another post on this site.

ST-70 Power Transformer 2023-011

Below are the colors and layout of the original Dynaco PA-060 ST-70 power transformer and A-470 output transformers. If you take off the transformer covers, you may be able to find the actual wire colors. Try that and see if the wires on your transformers are the same colors as indicated on the transformer spec sheets. Note that the measurements shown in the diagrams are in inches.

Bob

PA-060 power transformer below

ST-70 Power Transformer PA-060-power-transformer-specifications-1040

A-470 output transformer below

ST-70 Power Transformer A-470-output-transformer

10-E-C and HansDieter2110 like this post

moodyj2000

Post by moodyj2000 Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:53 am

Thanks Bob for the diagrams.  Yes, it definitely is not a PA060.  Just happen to come across a youtube post buy Uncle Doug, who I watch a lot since I am a newbie, and he addressed diagnossing unknow transformers.  The transformer he was using looked exactly like what I have.  It was a Baldwin Organ power transformer.  Did some more digging and wire color and everything are an exact match.  This came off of the chrome plated st-70 that I bought in this lot so somehow it was being used.  Found the following specs for it:
    Red/red-yellow/Red: ~360-0-360V (for B+)
    Yellow/yellow: ~6.8V (6.3V nominal for 12XX7 and 6X6 filaments)
    Brown/brown: ~5.3V (5V nominal for rectifier filaments)
    Green/green: ~14V (15V nominal for relays, etc.)

How could that have even been used?  This was for the unit that had the chassis punched out for a second rectifier tube.  

Main question now is can/should this be used for a stock ST-70 rebuild?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:27 pm

moodyj2000 wrote:Thanks Bob for the diagrams.  Yes, it definitely is not a PA060.  Just happen to come across a youtube post buy Uncle Doug, who I watch a lot since I am a newbie, and he addressed diagnossing unknow transformers.  The transformer he was using looked exactly like what I have.  It was a Baldwin Organ power transformer.  Did some more digging and wire color and everything are an exact match.  This came off of the chrome plated st-70 that I bought in this lot so somehow it was being used.  Found the following specs for it:
    Red/red-yellow/Red: ~360-0-360V (for B+)
    Yellow/yellow: ~6.8V (6.3V nominal for 12XX7 and 6X6 filaments)
    Brown/brown: ~5.3V (5V nominal for rectifier filaments)
    Green/green: ~14V (15V nominal for relays, etc.)

How could that have even been used?  This was for the unit that had the chassis punched out for a second rectifier tube.  

Main question now is can/should this be used for a stock ST-70 rebuild?

The problem is that the transformer you have has only ONE 6.3 volt AC line because that organ was probably mono and not stereo. The original Dynaco ST-70 had TWO 6.3 volt AC lines. The two green lines and the two brown lines on the original Dynaco ST-70 were rated at 3 amps each. The VTA ST-70, by the way, has two 5 amp 6.3 volt AC lines.

The power transformer that you have with the two YELLOW 6.3 volt AC lines MAY or MAY NOT have enough amperage to run four output tubes and three 12XX7 driver tubes ?

Maybe you could pad down that 14 volt (green/green) with resistors to get the voltage down to 6.3 volts AC and use it as a second filament line ?

Bob

HansDieter2110 likes this post

Steve Podski

Post by Steve Podski Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 am

Hi Bob,
    Do you have any fixes for a buzzing power transformer in a ST-70. No noise from speakers but when you put your hand on the cover you feel it.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:19 am

Steve Podski wrote:Hi Bob,
    Do you have any fixes for a buzzing power transformer in a ST-70. No noise from speakers but when you   put your hand on the cover you feel it.

Yes .. Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot store and pick up some flat rubber washers that have a hole just big enough that an 8 X 32 screw will fit through the center hole. Place the washer between the bottom of the power transformer and the TOP of the chassis. Tighten the washers until they are firm but not over tight. If you still get some vibration out of the power transformer, try altering the amount of tension on the screws that hold the power transformer to the chassis. See link below from Home Depot. The photo at the link shows what they look like but these may not be the exact size you need ? Maybe bring an 8 X 32 screw with you and find some rubber washers that the screw will fit the opening in the washer. Photo and link below ..

Rubber anti vibration washers at Home Depot

ST-70 Power Transformer Rubber-washers

Bob
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 am

Steve Podski wrote:Hi Bob,
    Do you have any fixes for a buzzing power transformer in a ST-70. No noise from speakers but when you   put your hand on the cover you feel it.
    If "cover" is the protective cover across the ST70 then another observation could help.
    This cover is of steel. The mail transformer leaks some 60 ( 50) hz magnetically which will
    set the thing perforated steel cover moving.

Some mechenical damping could be used between the cover and the transformer could reduce the
    moving.

A permanent solution is to make the cover from a non-magnetic material, alu comes to my mind.

Steve Podski likes this post

Steve Podski

Post by Steve Podski Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:57 am

Thanks Bob.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 pm